Effects of Meat Recalls on Futures Market Prices
AbstractThe number of meat recalls has increased markedly in recent years. This research examines the impact of beef and pork recall announcements on nearby daily live cattle and lean hog futures market prices, respectively. Results indicate medium-sized beef recalls that are of serious health concerns have a marginally negative impact on short-term live cattle futures prices. However, results are not robust across recall size and severity. This research suggests that if there is any systematic change in cattle and hog demand due to meat recalls, it likely occurs over an extended period of time and only in certain cases does it noticeably affect daily futures prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Agribusiness; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Other versions of this item:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2000. "Effects Of Meat Recalls On Futures Market Prices," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18925, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie) & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1993. "Generic Advertising Wearout," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(03), December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Park, Moon-Soo & Jin, Yanhong H. & Bessler, David A., 2008.
"The Impacts of Animal Disease Crises on the Korean Meat Market,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6365, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Moonsoo Park & Yanhong H. Jin & David A. Bessler, 2008. "The impacts of animal disease crises on the Korean meat market," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 183-195, 09.
- Pritchett, James G. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Johnson, Kamina K., 2005. "Animal Disease Economic Impacts: A Survey of Literature and Typology of Research Approaches," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 8(01).
- Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Hooker, Neal H. & Salin, Victoria, 2003. "Exploring Meat And Poultry Recall Data For Policy Lessons," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22142, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Thomsen, Michael R. & Ollinger, Michael & Crandall, Philip G. & O'Bryan, Corliss, 2008. "Mandatory Food Recalls," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6083, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nilsson, Tomas K.H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 2005. "Certification of Pork Products," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19350, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McKenzie, Andrew M. & Thomsen, Michael R., 2001. "The Effect Of E. Coli O157:H7 On Beef Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Hooker, Neal H. & Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Salin, Victoria, 2005. "Crisis management effectiveness indicators for US meat and poultry recalls," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 63-80, February.
- Moghadam, Arian Khaleghi & Schmidt, Claudia & Grier, Kevin, 2013. "The impact of E. Coli O157:H7 recalls on live cattle futures prices: Revisited," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 81-87.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Kalaitzandonakes, Nicholas G., 2001. "The Response Of Corn Futures Markets To Agro-Biotechnology News," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36124, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Wilson, Christine A. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2002. "The Effects Of Food Safety Issues On Diversifiable And Nondiversifiable Agribusiness Risk," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19678, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wolfram Schlenker & Sofia B. Villas-Boas, 2009.
"Consumer and Market Responses to Mad Cow Disease,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1140-1152.
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008. "Consumer and market responses to mad-cow disease," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1023, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008. "Consumer and Market Responses to Mad-Cow Disease," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7995j7cm, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Sayed H. Saghaian & Leigh J. Maynard & Michael R. Reed, 2007. "The effects of E. coli 0157:H7, FMD and BSE on Japanese retail beef prices: A historical decomposition," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 131-147.
- Piggott, Nicholas E., 2006. "Consumer Price Formation with Demographic Translating," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25252, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.