Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality
AbstractThis study estimates wholesale demand for pork, chicken, and quality differentiated beef. We estimate meat retailer own- and cross-price demand elasticities for USDA Choice and Select boxed beef. Results indicate that meat retailers have more elastic demand for lower quality graded beef. Retail beef price has a strong positive relationship with Choice and Select boxed beef demand, and a strong negative relationship with wholesale pork and chicken demand. Seasonal analysis reveals demand for both beef quality grades becomes highly price inelastic during the summer months. The two beef quality grades are substitutes during the winter; however, Select beef is not a substitute for Choice beef in the spring and summer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000. "Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36409, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shon P. Williams & C. Richard Shumway, 1998. "Testing for Behavioral Objective and Aggregation Opportunities in U.S. Agricultural Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 195-207.
- Namken, Jerry C. & Farris, Donald E. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1994. "The Demand For Wholesale Beef Cuts By Season And Trend," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 25(2), September.
- Thompson, Gary D. & Wilson, Paul N., 1999. "Market Demands For Bagged, Refrigerated Salads," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1988. "Model of Production with Supply Management for the Canadian Agricultural Sector, A," Staff General Research Papers 11269, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hahn, William F. & Green, Richard D., 2000. "Joint Costs In Meat Retailing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Yang, Xiaolou, 2001. "Hedging Wholesale Beef Cuts," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36091, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Myrland, Oystein, 2002. "Optimal Seasonal Allocation Of Generic Advertising Expenditures With Product Substitution: Salmon In France," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(2).
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of the Demand for Wholesale Pork Primals: Seasonality and Structural Change," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Dhoubhadel, Sunil P. & Stockton, Matthew C., 2010. "The U.S. Import of Beef: Substitute or Complement for Domestic Beef Production?," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56509, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Riley, John Michael & Schroeder, Ted C. & Wheeler, Tommy L., 2005. "Valuing Fed Cattle Using Slice Shear Force Measurements," 2005 Annual Meeting, July 6-8, 2005, San Francisco, California 36313, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Crespi, John M. & Marette, Stephan, 2003. "Some Economic Implications Of Public Labeling," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "An Empirical Analysis Of The Demand For Wholesale Pork Primals: Seasonality And Structural Change," Working Papers 26033, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Parcell, Joseph L., 2000. "An Empirical Analysis Of The Demand For Wholesale Pork Primals: Seasonality And Structural Change," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36343, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Mutondo, Joao E. & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 2007. "A Source-Differentiated Analysis of U.S. Meat Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.