Modeling U.S. Soy-Based Markets with Directed Acyclic Graphs and Bernanke Structural VAR Methods: The Impacts of High Soy Meal and Soybean Prices
AbstractAdvanced methods that combine directed acyclic graphs with Bernanke structural vector autoregression models are applied to a monthly system of three U.S. soy-based markets: for soybeans upstream and for the two soybean co-products soy meal and soy oil further downstream. Analyses of the impulse-response function and forecast error variance decompositions provide updated estimates of market-elasticity parameters that drive these markets and updated policy-relevant information on how these monthly markets run and dynamically interact. Results characterize impacts on the three U.S. soy-based markets of increases in U.S. prices of soy meal and soybeans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food Distribution Research Society in its journal Journal of Food Distribution Research.
Volume (Year): 35 (2004)
Issue (Month): 03 (November)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Michael S. Haigh & David A. Bessler, 2004.
"Causality and Price Discovery: An Application of Directed Acyclic Graphs,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1099-1121, October.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bessler, David A., 2002. "Causality And Price Discovery: An Application Of Directed Acyclic Graphs," Working Papers 28588, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bessler, David A., 2002. "Causality And Price Discovery: An Application Of Directed Acyclic Graphs," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19057, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- David A Bessler & Jian Yang & Metha Wongcharupan, 2003. "Price Dynamics in the International Wheat Market: Modeling with Error Correction and Directed Acyclic Graphs," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-33.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1988.
"Bayesian skepticism on unit root econometrics,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
3, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tom Doan, . "BAYESTST: RATS procedure to perform Bayesian Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00014, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Babula, Ronald A. & Bessler, David A. & Payne, Warren S., 2004. "Dynamic Relationships Among U.S. Wheat-Related Markets: Applying Directed Acyclic Graphs to a Time Series Model," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Sneha Jonnala & Stephen Fuller & David Bessler, 2002. "A GARCH Approach to Modelling Ocean Grain Freight Rates," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(2), pages 103-125, June.
- David A. Bessler & Derya G. Akleman, 1998. "Farm Prices, Retail Prices, and Directed Graphs: Results for Pork and Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1144-1149.
- David A. Bessler, 1984. "An Analysis of Dynamic Economic Relationships: An Application to the U.S. Hog Market," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, 03.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986.
"Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation,"
NBER Working Papers
1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986. "Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Saghaian, Sayed H. & Hasan, Mohamad F. & Reed, Michael R., 2002. "Overshooting Of Agricultural Prices In Four Asian Economies," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:35:y:2003:i:3:p:483-495 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ronald A. Babula & Phil L. Colling & Gregory R. Gajewski, 1994. "Dynamic impacts of rising lumber prices on housing-related prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 373-388.
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Goodwin, Harold L., Jr. & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Djunaidi, Harjanto, 2003. "Which Broiler Part is the Best Part?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(03), December.
- Qiu, Cheng & Colson, Gregory & Wetzstein, Michael E., 2011.
"Considering Macroeconomic Indicators in the Food versus Fuel Issues,"
2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
103689, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Qiu, Cheng & Colson, Gregory & Escalante, Cesar & Wetzstein, Michael, 2012. "Considering macroeconomic indicators in the food before fuel nexus," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2021-2028.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.