Effects Of Meat Recalls On Futures Market Prices
AbstractThe number of meat recalls has increased markedly in recent years. Meat recalls have the potential to adversely affect short run demand for meat because of the associated decline in consumer confidence. This research examines the impact of beef and pork recalls on nearby daily live cattle and lean hog futures market prices, respectively. Results indicate that medium sized beef and large pork recalls that are a serious health concern have a marginally negative impact on short-term live cattle and lean hog futures prices, respectively. However, results are not robust across recall size and severity. This research suggests that if there is any systematic significant change in beef and pork demand due to meat recalls, it likely occurs over an extended period of time and only in certain cases does it noticeably affect daily futures prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management in its series 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois with number 18925.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/ncrext/ncr134/
meat recalls; event study; meat demand; Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie) & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1993. "Generic Advertising Wearout," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(03), December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moonsoo Park & Yanhong H. Jin & David A. Bessler, 2008.
"The impacts of animal disease crises on the Korean meat market,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 183-195, 09.
- Park, Moon-Soo & Jin, Yanhong H. & Bessler, David A., 2008. "The Impacts of Animal Disease Crises on the Korean Meat Market," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6365, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008.
"Consumer and market responses to mad-cow disease,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1023, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008. "Consumer and Market Responses to Mad-Cow Disease," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7995j7cm, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Wilson, Christine A. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2002. "The Effects Of Food Safety Issues On Diversifiable And Nondiversifiable Agribusiness Risk," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19678, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Thomsen, Michael R. & Ollinger, Michael & Crandall, Philip G. & O'Bryan, Corliss, 2008. "Mandatory Food Recalls," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6083, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Kalaitzandonakes, Nicholas G., 2001. "The Response Of Corn Futures Markets To Agro-Biotechnology News," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36124, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Sayed H. Saghaian & Leigh J. Maynard & Michael R. Reed, 2007. "The effects of E. coli 0157:H7, FMD and BSE on Japanese retail beef prices: A historical decomposition," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 131-147.
- Pritchett, James G. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Johnson, Kamina K., 2005. "Animal Disease Economic Impacts: A Survey of Literature and Typology of Research Approaches," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 8(01).
- Piggott, Nicholas E., 2006. "Consumer Price Formation with Demographic Translating," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25252, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nilsson, Tomas K.H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 2005. "Certification of Pork Products," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19350, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Moghadam, Arian Khaleghi & Schmidt, Claudia & Grier, Kevin, 2013. "The impact of E. Coli O157:H7 recalls on live cattle futures prices: Revisited," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 81-87.
- Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Hooker, Neal H. & Salin, Victoria, 2003. "Exploring Meat And Poultry Recall Data For Policy Lessons," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22142, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hooker, Neal H. & Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Salin, Victoria, 2005. "Crisis management effectiveness indicators for US meat and poultry recalls," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 63-80, February.
- McKenzie, Andrew M. & Thomsen, Michael R., 2001. "The Effect Of E. Coli O157:H7 On Beef Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.