Unemployment Compensation Finance and Efficiency Wages
AbstractThis article examines the effects of unemployment compensation finance in a labor market in which firms pay efficiency wages. Two self-financing unemployment compensation systems are compared: one in which benefits are financed by a proportional payroll tax and another in which experience rating is introduced by taxing firms in proportion to their separations. The authors find that experience rating leads to less unemployment, less shirking, and higher output. Copyright 1999 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniel Cardona & Fernando Sánchez-Losada, 2004.
"The Unemployment Benefit System: a Redistributive or an Insurance Institution?,"
DEA Working Papers
8, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Fernando Sanchez Losada & Daniel Cardona, 2005. "The Unemployment Benefit System: a Redistributive or an Insurance Institution?," Working Papers in Economics 129, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Julia Fath & Clemens Fuest, 2005. "Experience Rating of Unemployment Insurance in the US: A Model for Europe?," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(2), pages 45-50, 07.
- Altenburg, Lutz & Straub, Martin, 2001. "Taxes on labour and unemployment in a shirking model with union bargaining," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 721-744, December.
- Olivier L'Haridon & Franck Malherbet, 2008.
"Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies,"
THEMA Working Papers
2008-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck, 2006. "Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2304, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbe, Franck, 2008. "Employment protection reform in search economies," Les Cahiers de Recherche 910, HEC Paris.
- Pierre Cahuc & Franck Malherbet, 2001.
"Unemployment Compensation Finance and Labor Market Rigidity,"
2001-37, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Malherbet, Franck, 2004. "Unemployment compensation finance and labor market rigidity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 481-501, March.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Malherbet, Franck, 2002. "Unemployment Compensation Finance and Labor Market Rigidity," IZA Discussion Papers 581, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cahuc, Pierre & Malherbet, Franck, 2002. "Unemployment Compensation Finance and Labour Market Rigidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3512, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bo Sandemann Rasmussen, . "Efficiency Wages and the Long-Run Incidence of Progressive Taxation," Economics Working Papers 2001-5, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Peter Hans Matthews, 2005. "Labor Discipline, Reputation and Underemployment Traps," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0501, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Jon Strand, 2002. "Effects of Progressive Taxes under Decentralized Bargaining and Heterogeneous Labor," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 195-210, March.
- repec:aah:aarhec:1997-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Helge Sanner, 2001. "Regional Unemployment Insurance," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 41, Universität Potsdam, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliche Fakultät.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.