Experience Rating versus Employment Protection Laws in a Model where Firms Monitor Workers
AbstractWhile layoff costs in the U.S. are mostly due to experience-rated unemployment insurance, layoff costs in European labour markets are primarily a consequence of employment protection laws. In this paper we compare the effects of experience rating and employment protection laws on employment and welfare in a model where unemployment arises due to efficiency wage setting and where labour turnover is inefficiently high. We show that a revenue-neutral introduction of experience rating reduces labour turnover and increases employment and welfare. The introduction of employment protection laws may also reduce labour turnover but employment declines. Copyright The editors of the "Scandinavian Journal of Economics", 2005 .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 107 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olivier L'Haridon & Franck Malherbet, 2008.
"Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies,"
THEMA Working Papers
2008-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbe, Franck, 2008. "Employment protection reform in search economies," Les Cahiers de Recherche 910, HEC Paris.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck, 2006. "Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2304, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Julia Fath & Clemens Fuest, 2002.
"Temporary Layoffs and Unemployment Insurance: Is Experience Rating Desirable?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
663, CESifo Group Munich.
- Julia Fath & Clemens Fuest, 2005. "Temporary Layoffs and Unemployment Insurance: Is Experience Rating Desirable?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(4), pages 471-483, November.
- Burguet, Roberto & Caminal, Ramón, 2004.
"Does the Market Provide Sufficient Employment Protection?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4198, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burguet, Roberto & Caminal, Ramon, 2008. "Does the market provide sufficient employment protection?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 406-422, June.
- Julia Fath & Clemens Fuest, 2005. "Experience Rating of Unemployment Insurance in the US: A Model for Europe?," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(2), pages 45-50, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.