Voluntary Debt Reduction: Incentives and Welfare
AbstractIn an economy with a debt overhang, investment depends on expected tax rates, but expected tax rates depend on the debt's face value. Therefore investment depends on the face value of debt. This relationship may lead to a positive or negative association between debt and investment. The paper explores the desirability of debt reduction. First, it characterizes circumstances in which debt reduction is desirable from the collective point of view of the creditors. Second, it formulates the forgiveness decision as a noncooperative game among creditors and explores the scope for debt reduction as an outcome of this game.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 36 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1987.
"Public Debt Guarantees and Private Capital Flight,"
World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group,
World Bank Group, vol. 1(3), pages 377-95, May.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988. "Market-Based Debt-Reduction Schemes," NBER Working Papers 2587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Michael P. Dooley, 1988. "Buy-Backs and Market Valuation of External Debt," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 215-229, June.
- W. Max Corden, 1988. "An International Debt Facility?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 401-421, September.
- Claessens, Stijn, 1990. "The debt laffer curve: Some estimates," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(12), pages 1671-1677, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps, .
"Sovereign Debt, Structural Adjustment and Conditionality,"
Working Papers, Stanford University, Department of Economics
96015, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "Sovereign debt, structural adjustment, and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 313-335, August.
- Stephan Koren, 1992. "Debt relief for Eastern Europe — Its costs and the distribution of proceeds: Some preliminary results," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 128(4), pages 639-661, December.
- Fernandez-Ruiz, Jorge, 1996. "Debt and incentives in a dynamic context," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 139-151, August.
- Tengstam, Sven, 2005.
"Debt Relief and Adjustment Effort in a Multi Period Model,"
Working Papers in Economics, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics
176, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Tengstam, Sven, 2006. "Debt relief and adjustment effort in a multi-period model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 127-130, April.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude, 2001. "HIPC Debt Relief and Policy Reform Incentives," Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Andrew M. Warner, 1991.
"Did the debt crisis cause the investment crisis?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
418, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Oladi, Reza, 2003. "International involuntary lending and contingent default threat," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 237-245.
- Bowe, M. & Dean, J.W., 1997. "Has the Market Solved the Sovereign-Debt Crisis?," Princeton Studies in International Economics, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University, 83, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Hayri, Aydin, 1997.
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1701, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayri, A., 1996. "Debt Relief," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS), University of Warwick, Department of Economics 459, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua, 1999. "Financial sector inefficiencies and coordination failures : implications for crisis management," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2185, The World Bank.
- Long, Ngo Van, 1989. "The political economy of the international debt crisis," Kiel Working Papers 384, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Michael Bowe & James W. Dean, 1997. "Debt-equity swaps and the enforcement of sovereign loan contracts," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 59-83.
- Johansson, Pernilla, 2010. "Debt Relief, Investment and Growth," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1204-1216, September.
- Rolf Maier, 2005. "External Debt and Pro-Poor Growth," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 0504031, EconWPA.
- Maier, Rolf, 2005. "External Debt and Pro-Poor Growth," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 23, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Idlemouden, Khadija & Raffinot, Marc, 2005. "Le fardeau virtuel de la dette extérieure. Une revue de la littérature à l'aune de l'initiative « pays pauvres très endettés » (PPTE)," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University 123456789/4089, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.