Prospective aid and indebtedness relief. A proposal
AbstractPrimary needs of human development are not met in poor development countries.Although ambitious goals have been set by the international community to meet specific human development targets by 2015, Official Development Aid is lagging and excessive external debt continues to drain much needed resources from poor countries despite the recent HIPC (Highly Indebted Poor Countries)Initiative. This paper outlines a 15-year program for implementing the 2015 Human Development targets while resolving fully the debt overhang problem for a set of 49 poor countries. The proposal requires additional contributions from 23rich countries amounting to 0.1 of 1% of their GDP over each of the 15y ears. Although only a small part of the effort would take the form of debt cancellation, the outstanding debt of the 49 poor countries would be totally extinct by year 2015. The program, to be implemented in a multilateral framework in which all interested parties have an effective voice, relies on several basic premises: a long term commitment by donors; a fair burden sharing among creditors; a fair distribution of newly available resources among poor countries, heavily indebted or not; a targeting of these resources to human development programs; a conditionality guaranteeing reasonable aid effectiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2000012.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- berlage, Lodewijk & cassimon, Danny & dreze, Jacques & Reding, Paul, 2003. "Prospective Aid and Indebtedness Relief: A Proposal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1635-1654, October.
- BERLAGE, Lode & CASSIMON, Danny & DREZE, Jacques & REDING, Paul, 2000. "Prospective aid and indebtedness relief: a proposal," CORE Discussion Papers 2000032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BERLAGE, Lodewijk & CASSIMON, Danny & DRÈZE, Jacques & REDING, Paul, . "Prospective aid and indebtedness relief: a proposal," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1660, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sachs, Jeffrey D, 1990. "A Strategy for Efficient Debt Reduction," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 19-29, Winter.
- W. Max Corden, 1988. "An International Debt Facility?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 401-421, September.
- Buiter, Willem & Kletzer, Kenneth & Srinivasan, T. N., 1989. "Some thoughts on the Brady plan: Putting a fourth leg on the donkey?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(10), pages 1661-1664, October.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1991.
"Sovereign Debt Repurchases: No Cure for Overhang,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1219-35, November.
- Claessens, Stijn & Diwan, Ishac, 1994. "Recent experience with commercial bank debt reduction: Has the "menu" outdone the market?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 201-213, February.
- Raffer, Kunibert, 1990. "Applying chapter 9 insolvency to international debts: An economically efficient solution with a human face," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-311, February.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff & Afonso S. Bevilaqua, 1992. "Official Creditor Seniority and Burden-Sharing in the Former Soviet Bloc," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 195-234.
- Claessens, Stijn, et al, 1997. "HIPCs' Debt Review of the Issues," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(2), pages 231-54, July.
- Renard, Robrecht & Cassimon, Danny, 2001. "On the Pitfalls of Measuring Aid," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jeffrey Sachs, 1986. "Managing the LDC Debt Crisis," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 397-440.
- Peter S. Heller & Sanjeev Gupta, 2002. "Challenges in Expanding Development Assistance," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 02/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1990. "Cleaning Up Third World Debt without Getting Taken to the Cleaners," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 31-42, Winter.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Srinivasan, T. N., 1987. "Rewarding the profligate and punishing the prudent and poor: Some recent proposals for debt relief," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 411-417, March.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1999. "The impact of public spending on health: does money matter?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(10), pages 1309-1323, November.
- Cassimon, Denis & Moreno-Dodson, Blanca & Wodon, Quentin, 2008. "Debt Sustainability for Low-Income Countries: A Review of Standard and Alternative Concepts," MPRA Paper 11077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Tito Cordella, 2002.
"Limits of Conditionality in Poverty Reduction Programs,"
IMF Working Papers
02/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Giovanni Dell'Aricca, 2002. "Limits of Conditionality in Poverty Reduction Programs," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(Special i), pages 68-86.
- Danny Cassimon & Bjorn Van campenhout, 2008. "Comparative Fiscal Response Effects Of Debt Relief: An Application To African Hipcs," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(3), pages 427-442, 09.
- Ralf Hepp, 2005.
"Consequences of Debt Relief Initiatives in the 1990s,"
- HEPP, Ralf, 2010. "CONSEQUENCES OF DEBT RELIEF INITIATIVES IN THE 1990s," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- Bernhard G. Gunter & A. F. M. Ataur Rahman, 2008. "Analyzing Bangladesh’s Debt Sustainability Using SimSIP Debt," Bangladesh Development Research Working Paper Series (BDRWPS) BDRWPS No. 2, Bangladesh Development Research Center (BDRC).
- John Geanakoplos & Felix Kubler, 2003. "Dollar Denominated Debt and Optimal Security Design," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1449, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Salem Kanoun, 2012. "Linkages Between Fiscal Debt Sustainability, Growth And Poverty: An Application To Tunisia," Book Chapters, Institute of Economic Sciences.
- Heylen, Fanny Heylen, 2010. "Analyzing the Poverty Impact of the Enhanced Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative in Bolivia," Revista Latinoamericana de Desarrollo Economico, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana, issue 14, pages 71-106.
- Anubha Dhasmana, 2008. "Welfare Gains of Aid Indexation in Small Open Economies," IMF Working Papers 08/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Gravier-Rymaszewska, Joanna, 2012. "How Aid Supply Responds to Economic Crises: A Panel VAR Approach," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cassimon, Danny & Vaessen, Jos, 2007. "Theory, practice and potential of debt for development swaps in the Asian and Pacific region," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 12-34, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.