Buy-Backs and Market Valuation of External Debt
AbstractIt has been argued that "buy-backs" and "debt-equity swaps" allow developing countries to benefit from market discounts on their external debt. It is argued here, however, that if such programs are expected to be successful in increasing the market value of remaining debt, they also lead to a roughly equivalent increase in prices at which a buy-back or debt-equity swap could be carried out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 35 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Bowe & James W. Dean, 1997. "Debt-equity swaps and the enforcement of sovereign loan contracts," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 59-83.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1989.
"The Simple Analytics of Debt-Equity Swaps,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 440-51, June.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1991.
"A valuation formula for LDC debt,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
763, The World Bank.
- Joshua Aizenman & Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann, 1996.
"Optimal Tax and Debt Policy with Endogenously Imperfect Creditworthiness,"
NBER Working Papers
5558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann, 2001. "Optimal tax and debt policy with endogenously imperfect creditworthiness," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 367-395.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1990.
"Voluntary Debt Reduction: Incentives and Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
2692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "Sovereign Debt Restructurings: Panacea or Pangloss?," NBER Working Papers 2637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Koren, 1992. "Debt relief for Eastern Europe — Its costs and the distribution of proceeds: Some preliminary results," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(4), pages 639-661, December.
- Graham Bird & Nicholas Snowden, 1997. "From banks to bonds: a problem resolved? A perspective from the LDC debt literature," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 207-220.
- Siebert, Horst, 1991. "Wege aus der Verschuldungskrise," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2011, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.