Buy-Backs and Market Valuation of External Debt
AbstractIt has been argued that "buy-backs" and "debt-equity swaps" allow developing countries to benefit from market discounts on their external debt. It is argued here, however, that if such programs are expected to be successful in increasing the market value of remaining debt, they also lead to a roughly equivalent increase in prices at which a buy-back or debt-equity swap could be carried out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 35 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernando A Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2006.
"Sovereign Risk and Secondary Markets,"
306, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Fernando Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2006. "Sovereign Risk and Secondary Markets," NBER Working Papers 12783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Broner, Fernando A & Martin, Alberto & Ventura, Jaume, 2007. "Sovereign Risk and Secondary Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6055, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando A. Broner & Alberto Martín & Jaume Ventura, 2006. "Sovereign Risk and Secondary Markets," Working Papers 288, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Fernando Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2006. "Sovereign risk and secondary markets," Economics Working Papers 998, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2009.
- Fernando Broner & Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2006. "Sovereign Risk and Secondary Markets," 2006 Meeting Papers 565, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1991.
"A valuation formula for LDC debt,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
763, The World Bank.
- Graham Bird & Nicholas Snowden, 1997. "From banks to bonds: a problem resolved? A perspective from the LDC debt literature," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 207-220.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1989.
"The Simple Analytics of Debt-Equity Swaps,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 440-51, June.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1989.
"Voluntary Debt Reduction: Incentives and Welfare,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 580-611, September.
- Michael Bowe & James W. Dean, 1997. "Debt-equity swaps and the enforcement of sovereign loan contracts," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 59-83.
- Joshua Aizenman & Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann, 2001.
"Optimal tax and debt policy with endogenously imperfect creditworthiness,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 367-395.
- Joshua Aizenman & Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann, 1996. "Optimal Tax and Debt Policy with Endogenously Imperfect Creditworthiness," NBER Working Papers 5558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "Sovereign Debt Restructurings: Panacea or Pangloss?," NBER Working Papers 2637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Siebert, Horst, 1991. "Wege aus der Verschuldungskrise," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2011, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Stephan Koren, 1992. "Debt relief for Eastern Europe — Its costs and the distribution of proceeds: Some preliminary results," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(4), pages 639-661, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.