AbstractThis paper develops a model for pricing sovereign debt under continuous time uncertainty, allowing creditors to carry out debt reductions. Focusing on the sovereignâs willingness to pay rather than on their ability to pay, it models debt reductions as a non-cooperative game. The formulae derived from the model successfully predict the outcomes of the Brady debt relief deals. The model also predicts that the sovereign will get a positive share of the surplus generated by the debt reductions and that the country will be on the âwrongâ side of its Debt Laffer curve well before the debt reduction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 52 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
- Hayri, Aydin, 1997. "Debt Relief," CEPR Discussion Papers 1701, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayri, A., 1996. "Debt Relief," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 459, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Daniel, 1993.
"A valuation formula for LDC debt,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 167-180, February.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1990.
"Voluntary Debt Reduction: Incentives and Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
2692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash Dixit, 1991.
"Market Valuation of Illiquid Debt and Implications for Conflicts among Creditors,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 828-849, December.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash K. Dixit, 1990. "Market Valuation Of Illiquid Debt And Implications For Conflicts Among Creditors," IMF Working Papers 90/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Dooley, Michael & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Kletzer, Kenneth & DEC, 1994.
"Is the debt crisis history? Recent private capital inflows to developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1327, The World Bank.
- Dooley, Michael & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Kletzer, Kenneth, 1996. "Is the Debt Crisis History? Recent Private Capital Inflows to Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(1), pages 27-50, January.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Investment and Hysteresis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 107-132, Winter.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1989.
"A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(1), pages 155-78, February.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1987. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," NBER Working Papers 2088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy A.Rogoff Bulow & Kenneth, 1986. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 43, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Claessens, Stijn & Diwan, Ishac, 1994. "Recent experience with commercial bank debt reduction: Has the "menu" outdone the market?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 201-213, February.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1989.
"Buybacks, Exit Bonds, and the Optimality of Debt and Liquidity Relief,"
NBER Working Papers
2675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A, 1989. "Buybacks, Exit Bonds, and the Optimality of Debt and Liquidity Relief," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(1), pages 49-70, February.
- Claessens, Stijn, 1990. "The debt laffer curve: Some estimates," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(12), pages 1671-1677, December.
- Claessens, Stijn & Pennacchi, George, 1996. "Estimating the Likelihood of Mexican Default from the Market Prices of Brady Bonds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Claessens, Stijn & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1993. "The 1990 Mexico and Venezuela recapture clauses: An application of average price options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 733-745, June.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & Pierre Tychon, 1996.
"Default Risk in Asset Pricing,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp250, Financial Markets Group.
- Mella-Baral, Pierre & Tychon, Pierre, 1996. "Default risk in asset pricing," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Singh, Ajit & Zammit, Ann, 2011.
"Globalisation, labour Standards and economic Development,"
53096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh & Ann Zammitt, 2003. "Globalisation, labour standards and economic development," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp257, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Pascal François & Georges Hübner & Jean-Roch Sibille, 2011. "A Structural Balance Sheet Model of Sovereign Credit Risk," Cahiers de recherche 1141, CIRPEE.
- Andrade, Sandro C., 2009. "A model of asset pricing under country risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 671-695, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.