A valuation formula for LDC debt
AbstractA large gap may lie between the amount of debt relief that is nominally granted to a debtor and that which is actually given up by the creditors. To help put that gap in perspective, the author proposes a valuation formula that provides: (i) the price at which a buy-back of the debt, on the secondary market, is advantageous to the country; (ii) the value to creditors of having the flows of payment guaranteed against factors that hinder a country in servicing its debt; and (iii) the degree of tradeoff between growth of payments and levels of payments. The author argues that it is not good business for a country to announce its intention to buy back debt, because doing so immediately raises the price. The value of guarantees, the author argues, cannot exceed 25 percent of the market price of the debt. Typically they're worth only about 10 percent. As for the degree of tradeoff, the author's formula finds that 1 percent additional growth rate is worth a 15 percent increase in the flows of payments. An assessment of the Mexican debt-relief agreement reached in 1990 is also offered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens, Stijn & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "Secondary Market Prices Under Alternative Debt Reduction Schemes: An Option Pricing Approach with an Application to Mexico," CEPR Discussion Papers 415, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael P. Dooley, 1988. "Buy-Backs and Market Valuation of External Debt," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 215-229, June.
- Hayri, Aydin, 1997.
CEPR Discussion Papers
1701, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayri, A., 1996. "Debt Relief," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 459, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999.
"Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill,"
CSGR Working papers series
35/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2000. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 335-62, January.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 1998. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CEPR Discussion Papers 1820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus H. Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for A Payments Standstill," Working Paper Series WP99-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Kim Oosterlinck & Loredana Ureche-Rangau, 2005.
"Entre la peste et le choléra: le détenteur d'obligations peut préférer la répudiation au défaut,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6693, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kim Oosterlinck & Loredana Ureche-Rangau, 2004. "Entre la peste et le choléra: le détenteur d'obligations peut préférer la répudiation au défaut," Working Papers CEB 04-021.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Claessens, Stijn & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "An option - pricing approach to secondary market debt : applied to Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 333, The World Bank.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "Mexico's external debt restructuring in 1989-90," Policy Research Working Paper Series 424, The World Bank.
- Ramcharran, Harri, 1999. "The determinants of secondary market prices for developing country loans: the impact of country risk," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 173-186.
- Loredana Ureche-Rangau & Kim Oosterlinck, 2005. "Entre la peste et le choléra : le détenteur d’obligations peut préférer la répudiation au défaut…," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 79(2), pages 309-331.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.