Default Risk in Asset Pricing
AbstractThis paper provides an analytical solution for the impact of default risk on the valuation of realistically intricate claims on time-dependent uncertain income streams. Its modular structure allows us to adjust the set of assumptions concerning the event of default to the specificity of the environment which surrounds the asset. The importance of such a flexibility is illustrated in the context of corporate debt, examining the simplest case of finite-lived coupon-paying corporate bonds with principal repayment at maturity. The magnitude of risk premia, as well as the term structure of credit spreads, are, not surprisingly, largely determined by the assumed default scenario.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp250.
Date of creation: Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Mella-Baral, Pierre & Tychon, Pierre, 1996. "Default risk in asset pricing," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Edwardo S, 1978. "Corporate Income Taxes, Valuation, and the Problem of Optimal Capital Structure," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(1), pages 103-14, January.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash K. Dixit, 1990.
"Market Valuation Of Illiquid Debt And Implications For Conflicts Among Creditors,"
IMF Working Papers
90/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash Dixit, 1991. "Market Valuation of Illiquid Debt and Implications for Conflicts among Creditors," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 828-849, December.
- Pierre Mella-Barral, 1996. "The Dynamics of Corporate Debt forgiveness and Contract Renegotiation," FMG Discussion Papers dp230, Financial Markets Group.
- Altman, Edward I, 1984. " A Further Empirical Investigation of the Bankruptcy Cost Question," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1067-89, September.
- Alderson, Michael J. & Betker, Brian L., 1995. "Liquidation costs and capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 45-69, September.
- Hayri, A., 1996.
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
459, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Hayne E. Leland and Klaus Bjerre Toft., 1995.
"Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-259, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Toft, Klaus Bjerre, 1996. " Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 987-1019, July.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- In Joon Kim & Krishna Ramaswamy & Suresh Sundaresan, 1993. "Does Default Risk in Coupons Affect the Valuation of Corporate Bonds?: A Contingent Claims Model," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- Fries,S. & Mella-Barral,P. & Perraudin,W.R.M., 1995.
"Optimal Bank Reorganisation and the Fair Pricing of Deposit Garantees,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9417, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fries, Steven & Mella-Barral, Pierre & Perraudin, William, 1997. "Optimal bank reorganization and the fair pricing of deposit guarantees," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 441-468, April.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Mella-Barral, Pierre & Perraudin, William, 1997.
" Strategic Debt Service,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 531-56, June.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Sundaresan, Suresh, 1996. "Design and Valuation of Debt Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 37-68.
- Marco Realdon, 2006.
"Valuation of the Firm's Liabilities when Equity Holders are also Creditors,"
06/16, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Marco Realdon, 2007. "Valuation of the Firm's Liabilities When Equity Holders Are Also Creditors," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(5-6), pages 950-975.
- Marco Realdon, . "Convertible Subordinated Debt Valuation and "Conversion in Distress"," Discussion Papers 03/18, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Manzoni, Katiuscia, 2002. "Modeling credit spreads: An application to the sterling Eurobond market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 183-218.
- Marco Realdon, . "Corporate Bond Valuation with Both Expected and Unexpected Default," Discussion Papers 03/21, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Marco Realdon, 2006. "Book Values and Market Values of Equity and Debt," Discussion Papers 06/11, Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.