Debt Write-Downs and Debt-Equity Swaps in the Two Sector Model
Abstract"Debt overhang" models have motivated the possibility of Pareto-improving "market-based debt-reduction schemes" under an assumption of creditor seizure in bad states. These models usually reach the conclusion that while pure debt forgiveness is in the interest of debtor nations, debt repurchase programs are not. This paper introduces a "safe sector" into the debtor nation which is unexposed to seizure during default states. Two important results which emerge are that debt forgiveness is not necessarily in the interest of all debtors, and the potential for Pareto-improving debt-equity swaps is magnified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3121.
Date of creation: Aug 1989
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Journal of International Economics, vol. 33, (November 1992), p. 267-283
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Sachs & Harry Huizinga, 1987.
"U.S. Commercial Banks and the Developing-Country Debt Crisis,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(2), pages 555-606.
- Sachs, J. & Huizinga, H.P., 1987. "U.S. commercial banks and the developing-country debt crisis," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-155106, Tilburg University.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Harry Huizinga, 1987. "U.S. Commercial Banks and the Developing Country Debt Crisis," NBER Working Papers 2455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988. "Market-Based Debt-Reduction Schemes," NBER Working Papers 2587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael P. Dooley, 1988. "Self-Financed Buy-Backs and Asset Exchanges," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 714-722, December.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "The Buyback Boondoggle," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(2), pages 675-704.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.