One Share-One Vote: The Empirical Evidence
AbstractWe survey the empirical literature on disproportional ownership, i.e. the use of mechanisms that separate voting rights from cash flow rights in corporations. Our focus is mostly on explicit mechanisms that allow some shareholders to acquire control with less than proportional economic interest in the firm (dual-class equity structures, stock pyramids, cross-ownership, etc.), but we also briefly discuss other mechanisms, such as takeover defenses and fiduciary voting. We provide a broad overview of different areas in this literature and highlight problems of interpretation that may arise because of empirical difficulties. We outline potentially promising areas for future research. Copyright 2008, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Finance Association in its journal Review of Finance.
Volume (Year): 12 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Yafeh, Yishay, 2009. "Long Term Changes in Voting Power and Control Structure following the Unification of Dual Class Shares," CEPR Discussion Papers 7287, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ødegaard, Bernt Arne, 2009.
"The diversification cost of large, concentrated equity stakes. How big is it? Is it justified?,"
UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance
2009/22, University of Stavanger.
- Ødegaard, Bernt Arne, 2009. "The diversification cost of large, concentrated equity stakes. How big is it? Is it justified?," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 56-72, June.
- Ferreira, Daniel & Ornelas, Emanuel & Turner, John L., 2007. "Unbundling Ownership and Control," CEPR Discussion Papers 6257, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamon, Jacques & Ginglinger, Edith, 2012.
"Ownership, control and market liquidity,"
Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine
urn:hdl:123456789/9676, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Hamon, Jacques & Ginglinger, Edith, . "Ownership, control and market liquidity," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/2709, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Arugaslan, Onur & Cook, Douglas O. & Kieschnick, Robert, 2010. "On the decision to go public with dual class stock," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 170-181, April.
- Eklund, Johan E, 2009. "One Share – One Vote: new evidence from the Nordic countries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 168, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Bennedsen, Morten & Nielsen, Kasper Meisner, 2010. "Incentive and entrenchment effects in European ownership," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2212-2229, September.
- Lauterbach, Beni & Yafeh, Yishay, 2011. "Long term changes in voting power and control structure following the unification of dual class shares," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 215-228, April.
- At, Christian & Burkart, Mike & Lee, Samuel, 2011.
"Security-voting structure and bidder screening,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 458-476, July.
- At, Christian & Burkart, Mike & Lee, Samuel, 2007. "Security-Voting Structure and Bidder Screening," CEPR Discussion Papers 6241, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Lee & Christian At & Mike Burkart, 2007. "Security-Voting Structure and Bidder Screening," FMG Discussion Papers dp575, Financial Markets Group.
- Alexander Muravyev, 2009.
"Investor Protection and Share Prices: Evidence from Statutory Rules Governing Variations of Shareholders' Class Rights in Russia,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
865, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2009. "Investor protection and share prices: Evidence from statutory rules governing variations of shareholders’ class rights in Russia," MPRA Paper 13678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yishay Yafeh & Beni Lauterbach, 2009. "Long Term Changes in Voting Power and Control Structure following the Unification of Dual Class Shares," Working Papers 2009.112, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Poulsen, Thomas, 2011. "Private benefits in corporate control transactions," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 52-58, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.