Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry
AbstractWe analyze the relationship between product quality and contracting choices using the results of a survey of California winegrape growers. Growers who produce high-quality grapes are more likely to use formal written contracts than are growers who produce low-quality grapes. Written contracts for high-quality grapes are more likely to include provisions regarding the production process, while written contracts for low-quality grapes are more likely to include explicit financial incentives for sugar content and other product attributes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 23 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3_4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
Other versions of this item:
- Rachael Goodhue & Dale Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel Sumner, 2003. "Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 267-282, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Hennessy, 1996.
"Information Asymmetry as a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1034-1043.
- Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Information Asymmetry As a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration," Staff General Research Papers 5032, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shaban, Radwan Ali, 1987. "Testing between Competing Models of Sharecropping," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Lafontaine, F. & Slade, M., 1996.
"Retail Contracting: Theory and Practice,"
96b09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Knoeber, Charles R & Thurman, Walter N, 1994. "Testing the Theory of Tournaments: An Empirical Analysis of Broiler Production," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(2), pages 155-79, April.
- Ritter, Joseph A & Taylor, Lowell J, 1994. "Workers as Creditors: Performance Bonds and Efficiency Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 694-704, June.
- Brent Hueth & Ethan Ligon, 2002.
"Estimation of an efficient tomato contract,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 237-253, June.
- Pirrong, Stephen Craig, 1993. "Contracting Practices in Bulk Shipping Markets: A Transactions Cost Explanation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(2), pages 937-76, October.
- Kirk Monteverde & David J. Teece, 1982. "Supplier Switching Costs and Vertical Integration in the Automobile Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 206-213, Spring.
- Masten, Scott E, 1984. "The Organization of Production: Evidence from the Aerospace Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 403-17, October.
- Douglas W. Allen & Dean Lueck, 2004. "The Nature of the Farm: Contracts, Risk, and Organization in Agriculture," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511851, December.
- Goodhue, Rachael E. & Rausser, Gordon C., 2003. "Value Differentiation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Francine Lafontaine & Margaret E. Slade, 1998. "Incentive Contracting and the Franchise Decision," NBER Working Papers 6544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1987. "Contract Duration and Relationship-Specific Investments: Empirical Evidence from Coal Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 168-85, March.
- Avner Bar-Ilan, 1991. "Monitoring Workers as a Screening Device," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 460-70, May.
- Fernandez-Olmos, Marta & Rosell-Martinez, Jorge & Espitia-Escuer, Manuel Antonio, 2008. "Quality and governance mode choice: a transaction cost approach to the wine industry," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44266, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabrizio Cafaggi & Paola Iamiceli, 2010. "Inter-firm Networks in the European Wine Industry," EUI-LAW Working Papers 19, European University Institute (EUI), Department of Law.
- Christopher Snyder, 2003.
"Introduction to the 2003 International Industrial Organization Conference Special Issue,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 175-177, December.
- Christopher M. Snyder, 2003. "Introduction to the 2003 International Industrial Organization Conference Special Issue," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(3_4), pages 175-177, December.
- Neumann, A. & von Hirschhausen, C., 2006.
"Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited -An Empirical Analysis of Producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0630, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Christian Hirschhausen & Anne Neumann, 2008. "Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited: An Empirical Analysis of Producer–Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 131-143, March.
- Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited: An Empirical Analysis of Producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 552, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited – An Empirical Analysis of producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry," Working Papers 0610, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Steiner, Bodo E., 2009. "The Extent and Nature of Contracting in the Wine Supply-Chain When Moral Hazard is Present," Staff Paper Series 154127, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Anderson, Kym, 2013. "Is Georgia the next 'new' wine-exporting country?," Working Papers 162523, Robert Mondavi Institute Center for Wine Economics.
- Franken, Jason R. V. & Bacon, Kevin J., 2014. "Organizational Structure and Operation of the Illinois Wine Industry," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 43(1), April.
- Fraser, Iain, 2005. "Microeconometric analysis of wine grape supply contracts in Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), March.
- Marta Fernández-Olmos & Jorge Rosell-Mart�nez & Manuel A. Espitia-Escuer, 2009. "Vertical integration in the wine industry: a transaction costs analysis on the Rioja DOCa," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 231-250.
- Fernández Olmos, Marta, 2010. "The performance implications of "grow or buy" decisions in the wine industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 256-264, June.
- MacDonald, James M. & Korb, Penelope J., 2011. "Agricultural Contracting Update: Contracts in 2008," Economic Information Bulletin 101279, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Traversac, Jean-Baptiste & Rousset, Sylvain & Perrier-Cornet, Philippe, 2011. "Farm resources, transaction costs and forward integration in agriculture: Evidence from French wine producers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 839-847.
- Olmos, Marta Fernandez & Rosell-Martinez, Jorge & Espitia-Escuer, Manuel Antonio, 2008. "On the co-existence of spot and contract markets: an analysis of quality," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6082, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.