Vertical Coordination Of Marketing Systems: Lessons From The Poultry, Egg, And Pork Industries
AbstractThe economic development of South Korea is often considered a model for developing countries. We use 1975 and 1990 data in a general equilibrium framework with a highly disaggregated sector specification to evaluate the opportunity cost of its agricultural protection. We show that although agriculture's share of the gross domestic product (GDP) declined between 1975 and 1990, the cost of agricultural protection, as measured by the loss in GDP, did not fall. The larger gap between domestic and world prices for the protected sectors exacerbated the distortions in resource allocation. Simulated removal of 1990 agricultural border protection reduced the share of agricultural GDP to the level actually observed in 1996, demonstrating how protection can impede economic structural development. The public policy implication is for developing countries to adopt policies that help the agricultural sector become competitive. Otherwise, as in Korea, the resource costs of delaying adjustment grow over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Agricultural Economics Reports with number 34051.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
South Korea; food policy; agricultural development; computable general equilibrium; protectionism; trade liberalization; rural development; Industrial Organization; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Joseph P. H., 2000. "Price uncertainty and vertical integration: an examination of petrochemical firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-376, December.
- David A. Hennessy, 1996.
"Information Asymmetry as a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1034-1043.
- Hennessy, David A., 1996. "Information Asymmetry As a Reason for Food Industry Vertical Integration," Staff General Research Papers 5032, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- D. W. Carlton, 1976.
"Vertical Integration in Competitive Markets Under Uncertainty,"
174, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1979. "Vertical Integration in Competitive Markets under Uncertainty," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 189-209, March.
- Martin, Laura L., 1999. "Navigating Production Contract Arrangements," Staff Papers 11591, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Lawrence, John D. & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Contracting and Vertical Coordination in the United States Pork Industry," Staff General Research Papers 5050, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1988. "Asset Specificity and the Structure of Vertical Relationships: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 95-117, Spring.
- Levy, David T, 1985. "The Transactions Cost Approach to Vertical Integration: An Empirical Examination," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 438-45, August.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 1999. "Vertical Coordination in the Pork and Broiler Industries: Implications for Pork and Chicken Products," Agricultural Economics Reports 34031, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2000. "Price and Quality of Pork and Broiler Products: What's the Role of Vertical Coordination?," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33759, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- MacDonald, James M, 1985. "Market Exchange or Vertical Integration: An Empirical Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 327-31, May.
- Caves, Richard E. & Bradburd, Ralph M., 1988. "The empirical determinants of vertical integration," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 265-279, April.
- Knoeber, Charles R, 1989. "A Real Game of Chicken: Contracts, Tournaments, and the Production of Broilers," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 271-92, Fall.
- Cheney, Laura Martin & Brown, A. Blake & Yamano, Takashi & Masterovsky, Michael, 2001. "Issues Of Demand Specification And Industry Structure In Turkeys And Broiler Chickens," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Pirrong, Stephen Craig, 1993. "Contracting Practices in Bulk Shipping Markets: A Transactions Cost Explanation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(2), pages 937-76, October.
- Martin, Laura L., 1997. "Production Contracts, Risk Shifting, And Relative Performance Payments In The Pork Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Leffler, Keith B & Rucker, Randal R & Munn, Ian A, 2000. "Transaction Costs and the Collection of Information: Presale Measurement on Private Timber Sales," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 166-88, April.
- Pouliot, Sebastien, 2012. "Consumer confidence in Food Safety and the 2010 egg recall," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124769, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Agricultural Contracts: Data and Research Needs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), December.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Garcia, Philip, 2008.
"Do Transaction Costs and Risk Preferences Influence Marketing Arrangements in the Illinois Hog Industry?,"
2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri
37599, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Garcia, Philip, 2009. "Do Transaction Costs and Risk Preferences Influence Marketing Arrangements in the Illinois Hog Industry?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(2), August.
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Joshi, P. K. & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Vertical coordination in high-value commodities," MTID discussion papers 85, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Reimer, Jeffrey J., 2004. "A Theory Of Packer Self Production In The Swine Industry," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19936, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- MacDonald, James M. & Perry, Janet E. & Ahearn, Mary Clare & Banker, David E. & Chambers, William & Dimitri, Carolyn & Key, Nigel D. & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Southard, Leland W., 2004. "Contracts, Markets, and Prices: Organizing the Production and Use of Agricultural Commodities," Agricultural Economics Reports 34013, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Theuvsen, Ludwig & Franz, Annabell, 2007. "The Role and Success Factors of Livestock Trading Cooperatives: Lessons from German Pork Production," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(03).
- Hui-Shung Chang, 2007. "Overview of the World Broiler Industry: Implications for the Philippines," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 4(2), pages 67-82, December.
- Mungandi, Sepiso & Conforte, Daniel & Shadbolt, Nicola M., 2012. "Integration of Smallholders in Modern Agri-food Chains: Lessons from the KASCOL Model in Zambia," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(3).
- William E. Nganje & Mounir Siaplay & Simeon Kaitibie & Emmanuel T. Acquah, 2006. "Predicting food safety losses in turkey processing and the economic incentives of hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP) intervention," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 475-489.
- Buhr, Brian L., 2003. "Traceability And Information Technology In The Meat Supply Chain: Implications For Firm Organization And Market Structure," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
- Granoszewski, Karol & Spiller, Achim, 2013. "Langfristige Rohstoffsicherung in der Supply Chain Biogas: Status Quo und Potenziale vertraglicher Zusammenarbeit," DARE Discussion Papers 1303, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Schulze, Birgit & Spiller, Achim & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2006. "More Trust Instead of More Vertical Integration in the German Pork Production? Empirical Evidence and Theoretical Considerations," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7756, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jordaan, Daniel du Plessis Scheepers & Kirsten, Johann F., 2008. "Investigating alternative governance systems for the South African mohair supply chain," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(2), June.
- Martinez, Stephen W. & Zering, Kelly D., 2004. "Pork Quality And The Role Of Market Organizaton," Agricultural Economics Reports 33973, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.