Semiotica, diritti e mercato. Economia del marchio nel terzo millennio
AbstractSemiotica, diritti e mercato. Economia del marchio nel terzo millennio - Semiotics, law and market. Economics of trademark in the third millenium, by Giovanni Ramello This article is aimed at providing an answer, from an economic perspective, to the puzzling Shakespearean question "What’s in a name ?", drawing specific attention to the case of the trademark, a commercial device which has been used since antiquity and has continuously expanded its boundaries. Its advent is connected with the problem of information asymmetries and the need for providing information to assist exchanges so as to avert market failure brought about by adverse selection. However, this information-conveying function was soon accompanied by a differentiation effect, arising from the peculiar power that signs can exert on individuals’ preferences. The pragmatic exploitation of differentiation has today given rise to the practice of branding, which ties markets and consumption to the realms of meaning and experience. Further, branding is so all-pervasive in today’s economy that it has somehow transfigured the relationships between signs and goods, to the point that the trademark has become a sort of property right over semantic products. On the whole this opens the door to what could be termed as the new economy of signs and meanings that should be still investigated. Keywords: trademark, brand, intellectual property, economics of information, signs, semiotics. JEL Classification: O31, O34, K10, M30.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE.
Volume (Year): 2008/1 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13
Other versions of this item:
- Ramello, Giovanni B., 2008. "Semiotica, diritto e mercato. Economia del marchio nel terzo millenio," POLIS Working Papers 102, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
- K10 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - General (Constitutional Law)
- M30 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugenia Baroncelli & Carsten Fink & Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2005.
"The Global Distribution of Trademarks: Some Stylised Facts,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 765-782, 06.
- Baroncelli, Eugenia & Kink, Carsten & Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 2004. "The global distribution of trademarks - some stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3270, The World Bank.
- Lynne Pepall & Dan Richards, 1999.
"The Simple Economics of "Brand-Stretching","
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
9905, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Ramello, Giovanni B. & Silva, Francesco, 2006.
"Appropriating signs and meaning: The elusive economics of trademark,"
POLIS Working Papers
70, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Giovanni B. Ramello & Francesco Silva, 2006. "Appropriating signs and meaning: the elusive economics of trademark," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(6), pages 937-963, December.
- Cabral, L.M.B., 2000.
"Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
00-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Ramello, Giovanni, 2006.
"What's in a sign? Trademark law and enconomic theory,"
POLIS Working Papers
67, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Giovanni B. Ramello, 2006. "What'S In A Sign ? Trademark Law And Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 547-565, 09.
- Michael D. Whinston, 1989.
"Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion,"
NBER Working Papers
2995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pil Choi, J., 1997.
"Brand Extension as Informational Leverage,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0451, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- F. M. Scherer, 2004. "A Note on Global Welfare in Pharmaceutical Patenting," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(7), pages 1127-1142, 07.
- Jarrell, Gregg & Peltzman, Sam, 1985.
"The Impact of Product Recalls on the Wealth of Sellers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 512-36, June.
- Gregg A. Jarrell & Sam Peltzman, 1984. "The Impact of Product Recalls on the Wealth of Sellers," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 33, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1995. "Competition When Consumers Have Switching Costs: An Overview with Applications to Industrial Organization, Macroeconomics, and International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 515-39, October.
- De Alessi, Louis & Staaf, Robert J, 1994. "What Does Reputation Really Assure? The Relationship of Trademarks to Expectations and Legal Remedies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(3), pages 477-85, July.
- Piero Cavaleri & Michael Keren & Giovanni B. Ramello & Vittorio Valli, 2009.
"Publishing an E-Journal on a Shoe String: Is It a Sustainable Project?,"
Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP),
Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 39(1), pages 89-101, March.
- Cavaleri, Pietro & Keren, Michael & Ramello, Giovanni B. & Valli, Vittorio, 2009. "Publishing an E-journal on a shoe string: Is it a sustainaible project?," POLIS Working Papers 118, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Marchese, Carla, 2008. "The limits to growth then and now," POLIS Working Papers 105, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.