World tariff liberalization in agriculture: An assessment using a global CGE trade model for EU15 regions
AbstractThis paper aims at modeling a global CGE trade model for the EU15 subnational regions. This model is used to assess production reallocation across sectors in each EU15 region, assuming a scenario in which world tariff liberalization is implemented in the agricultural sector. The model is parsimonious in terms of data, focusing on unskilled and skilled labor as the source of heterogeneity across regions. A stylized model is built to interpret trade policy effects. Results show decreases in agricultural production in the EU15 of about 0.93%. All regions reduce agriculture but show different magnitudes in the relative changes of production. Large reallocation effects are observed between manufactures and services, some regions specializing in the former and others in the latter. In addition, the introduction of labor mobility within the EU15 and the EU27 causes strong amplification effects in manufactures and services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
CGE modeling; International trade; Agriculture;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jansson, Torbjorn & Kuiper, Marijke H. & Adenauer, Marcel, 2009. "Linking CAPRI and GTAP," Reports 57912, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- John Duffy & Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, 2004.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity? Evidence from a Panel of Countries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 327-344, February.
- Chris Papageorgiou & John Duffy & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, . "Capital-Skill complementarity? Evidence from a Panel of Countries," Departmental Working Papers 2003-12, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Fidel Pérez Sebastián & John Duffy, 2002. "Capital-Skill Complementarity? Evidence From A Panel Of Countries," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Antoine Bouët & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2004. "A Consistent, Ad-Valorem Equivalent Measure of Applied Protection Across the World: The MAcMap-HS6 Database," Working Papers 2004-22, CEPII research center.
- Yang, Jun & Huang, Jikun & Li, Ninghui & Rozelle, Scott & Martin, Will, 2011. "The impact of the Doha trade proposals on farmers' incomes in China," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 439-452, May.
- Deardorff, Alan V. & Stern, Robert M., 2009. "Alternatives to the Doha Round," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 526-539, July.
- Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2004. "The Impact of Multilateral Liberalisation on European Regions: a CGE Assessment," Working Papers 2004-20, CEPII research center.
- Horridge, Mark & Madden, John & Wittwer, Glyn, 2005. "The impact of the 2002-2003 drought on Australia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-308, April.
- Giovanni Anania & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2005. "The negotiations on agriculture in the Doha Development Agenda Round: current status and future prospects," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 539-574, December.
- Antoine Bouët & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & Sébastien Jean, 2004.
"Multilateral Agricultural Trade Liberalization: The Contrasting Fortunes of Developing Countries in the Doha Round,"
2004-18, CEPII research center.
- Antoine Bou�t & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & Sébastien Jean, 2005. "Multilateral Agricultural Trade Liberalisation: The Contrasting Fortunes of Developing Countries in the Doha Round," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1329-1354, 09.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Antoine Bouet, Yvan Decreux, Sébastien Jean, 2005. "Multilateral agricultural trade liberalization: The contrasting fortunes of developing countries in the Doha Round," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp060, IIIS.
- Adams, Philip D., 2005. "Interpretation of results from CGE models such as GTAP," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 941-959, November.
- Matthew W. Peter & Mark Horridge & G.A. Meagher & Fazana Naqvi & B.R. Parmenter, 1996. "The Theoretical Structure of MONASH-MRF," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-85, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Salehezadeh, Zohre & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 2002. "The economic impacts of trade liberalization and factor mobility: the case of the Philippines," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 483-486, August.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Yvan Decreux & Jean-Louis Guérin & Sébastien Jean, 2002.
"MIRAGE, a Computable General Equilibrium Model for Trade Policy Analysis,"
2002-17, CEPII research center.
- Jean, Sébastien & Guérin, Jean-Louis & Decreux, Yvan & Bchir, Mohamed Hedi, 2002. "MIRAGE, a Computable General Equilibrium Model for Trade Policy Analysis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6497, Paris Dauphine University.
- Psaltopoulos, Demetris & Balamou, Eudokia & Skuras, Dimitris & Ratinger, Tomas & Sieber, Stefan, 2011. "Modelling the impacts of CAP Pillar 1 and 2 measures on local economies in Europe: Testing a case study-based CGE-model approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Femenia, Fabienne & Gohin, Alexandre, 2010.
"On The Optimal Implementation Of Agricultural Policy Reforms,"
Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany
91285, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Féménia, Fabienne & Gohin, Alexandre, 2013. "On the optimal implementation of agricultural policy reforms," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-74.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.