Vietnam's Accession to the WTO: Ex-Post Evaluation in a Dynamic Perspective
AbstractVietnam’s accession to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) on January 11, 2007 has represented the outcome of decades of efforts to modernise its economy. In this paper, we propose a new general equilibrium assessment of Vietnam’s accession to WTO using a dynamic approach and benefiting from the ex-post perspective offered one year after the membership acceptation. We rely on a dynamic global model incorporating duty-drawbacks and taking into account tariff changes at the HS6 level. A particular attention is paid on the sensitivity to dynamics assumptions and labour market closure. Our results show that gains for Vietnam linked to WTO accession are positive for trade in merchandises, but highly dependent on the evolution of textile and apparel sectors, whose exports were boosted by the commitments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2008-31.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Computable General Equilibrium Models; Trade policy; World trade organisation; Vietnam;
Other versions of this item:
- Houssein Boumellassa & Hugo Valin, 2009. "Vietnam's Accession to the WTO: Expost Evaluation in a Dynamic Perspective," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 118, pages 13-42.
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid, 2006.
"Trade Liberalization with Heterogenous Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
12192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Pierre Cling & Mohamed Ali Marouani & Mireille Razafindrakoto & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & François Roubaud, 2008. "The Vietnam’s terms of accession and distributional impact of WTO membership," Working Papers DT/2008/03, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Roland-Holst, David & Tarp, Finn & Dinh, Van An & Thanh, Vo Tri & Huong, Pham Lan & Dinh, Hien Minh, 2002. "Vietnam’s Accession to the World Trade Organization: Economic Projections to 2020," MPRA Paper 29417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yoko Niimi & Puja Vasudeva Dutta & Alan Winters, 2003. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam," PRUS Working Papers 17, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Antoine Bou�t & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & Sébastien Jean, 2005.
"Multilateral Agricultural Trade Liberalisation: The Contrasting Fortunes of Developing Countries in the Doha Round,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1329-1354, 09.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Antoine Bouet, Yvan Decreux, Sébastien Jean, 2005. "Multilateral agricultural trade liberalization: The contrasting fortunes of developing countries in the Doha Round," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp060, IIIS.
- Antoine Bouët & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Yvan Decreux & Sébastien Jean, 2004. "Multilateral Agricultural Trade Liberalization: The Contrasting Fortunes of Developing Countries in the Doha Round," Working Papers 2004-18, CEPII research center.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Chaponniere, Jean-Raphael & Cling, Jean-Pierre & Zhou, Bin, 2008.
"Vietnam Following in China?s Footsteps: The Third Wave of Emerging Asian Economies,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/84, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Zhou, Bin & Cling, Jean-Pierre & Chaponnière, Jean-Raphael, 2010. "Vietnam Following in China’s Footsteps : The Third Wave of Emerging Asian Economies," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10802, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fujii, Tomoki & Roland-Holst, David, 2008.
"How does Vietnam's accession to the World Trade Organization change the spatial incidence of poverty?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4521, The World Bank.
- Fujii, Tomoki & Roland-Holst, David, 2007. "How Does Vietnam's Accession to the World Trade Organization Change the Spatial Incidence of Poverty?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2002.
"Trade policy analysis in the presence of duty drawbacks,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3312, The World Bank.
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2004. "Trade policy analysis in the presence of duty drawbacks," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 353-371, April.
- David Vanzetti & Pham Lan Huong, 2006. "Vietnam's Trade Policy Dilemmas," Trade Working Papers 22036, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Marouani, Mohamed Ali, 2002.
"Imperfections du marché du travail et modèles d’équilibre général calculables : une revue de littérature,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4566, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani, 2002. "Imperfections du marché du travail et modèles d’équilibre général calculables : une revue de littérature," Working Papers DT/2002/16, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Jensen, Henning Tarp & Tarp, Finn, 2007. "A Vietnam Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) for the Year 2003," MPRA Paper 29822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emiko Fukase & Will Martin, 2000. "The effects of the United States granting MFN status to Vietnam," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 539-559, 09.
- Philip Abbott & Jeanet Bentzen & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Vietnam’s Accession to the WTO: Lessons from Past Trade Agreements," Discussion Papers 07-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.