Stochastic Pollution, Permits, and Merger Incentives
AbstractPollution permit regulations introduce nonlinearities into the objective function of a polluting firm. We develop a microeconomic model to show the effects these nonlinearities might have upon firm decisions when emissions are stochastic. Under perfect competition the fraction of planned pollution covered by permits is shown to be separable from planned production. We also demonstrate that permit management incentives may motivate a merger of otherwise independent firms. Incentives to petition for "bubble" coverage are also considered. The model is studied under risk neutrality and risk aversion. Imperfectly competitive situations in the output and permit markets are also analyzed. Author Keywords: bubble; Cournot; covariation; mergers; stochastic pollution; tradeable permits
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 37 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870
Other versions of this item:
- Hennessy, David A. & Roosen, Jutta, 1999. "Stochastic Pollution, Permits, and Merger Incentives," Staff General Research Papers 1700, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DIONNE, Georges & MOUNSIF, Tahar, 1996.
"Investment Under Demand Uncertainty: the Newsboy Problem Revisited,"
Cahiers de recherche
9610, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Georges Dionne & Tahar Mounsif, 1996. "Investment Under Demand Uncertainty: The Newsboy Problem Revisited," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(2), pages 179-189, December.
- Dionne, G. & Mounsif, T., 1996. "Investment Under Demand Uncertainty: The Newsboy Problem Revisited," Cahiers de recherche 9610, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- G. Dionne & T. Mounsif, 1996. "Investment under Demand Uncertainty : The Newsboy Problem Revisited," THEMA Working Papers 96-22, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dionne, G. & Mounsif, T., 1996. "Investment Under Demand Uncertainty: The Newsboy Poblem Revidited," Papers 9622, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Beavis, Brian & Walker, Martin, 1983. "Achieving environmental standards with stochastic discharges," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 103-111, June.
- Chao, Hung-Po & Wilson, Robert, 1993. "Option Value of Emission Allowances," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 233-49, September.
- MacMinn, Richard D. & Brockett, Patrick L., 1995. "Corporate spin-offs as a value enhancing technique when faced with legal liability," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 63-68, April.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1989. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers e-89-3, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Papers 17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hahn, Robert W., 1982.
"Market Power and Transferable Property Rights,"
402, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Innes, Robert & Rubin, Jonathan, 1992. "Emission Permits Under Monopoly," Staff General Research Papers 1607, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Meyer, Jack & Ormiston, Michael B, 1989. " Deterministic Transformations of Random Variables and the Comparative Statics of Risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 179-88, June.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Meyer, Jack & Ormiston, Michael B, 1997. "The Interaction between the Demands for Insurance and Insurable Assets," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 25-39, January.
- Dale A. Carlson & Anne M. Sholtz, 1994. "Designing Pollution Market Instruments: Cases Of Uncertainty," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 114-125, October.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1972. "Theory of the Firm Facing Uncertain Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 278-91, June.
- Stuart Mestelman & Andrew Muller, 1997.
"Emissions Trading with Shares and Coupons when Control over Discharges is Uncertain,"
McMaster Experimental Economics Laboratory Publications
1997-01, McMaster University.
- Godby, Robert W. & Mestelman, Stuart & Muller, R. Andrew & Welland, J. Douglas, 1997. "Emissions Trading with Shares and Coupons when Control over Discharges Is Uncertain," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 359-381, March.
- Beavis, Brian & Dobbs, Ian, 1987. "Firm behaviour under regulatory control of stochastic environmental wastes by probabilistic constraints," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 112-127, June.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Scott, James H, Jr, 1977. "On the Theory of Conglomerate Mergers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1235-50, September.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Beavis, Brian & Walker, Martin, 1983. "Random wastes, imperfect monitoring and environmental quality standards," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 377-387, August.
- Hadar, Josef & Seo, Tae Kun, 1990. "The Effects of Shifts in a Return Distribution on Optimal Portfolios," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(3), pages 721-36, August.
- Canton, Joan & David, Maia & Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard, 2008.
"Environmental regulation and horizontal mergers in the eco-industry,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44456, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Canton, Joan & David, Maia & Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, Bernard, 2012. "Environmental Regulation and Horizontal Mergers in the Eco-industry," Strategic Behavior and the Environment, now publishers, vol. 2(2), pages 107-132, July.
- Joan Canton & Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2008. "Environmental Regulation and Horizontal Mergers in the Eco-industry," Working Papers 2008.46, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- L. Lambertini & A. Tampieri, 2012. "Efficient Horizontal Mergers in Polluting Industries with Cournot Competition," Working Papers wp813, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Olivier Rousse & Benoît Sévi, 2005. "Behavioral Heterogeneity in the US Sulfur Dioxide Emissions Allowance Trading Program," ERSA conference papers ersa05p550, European Regional Science Association.
- Lin-Ti Tan, 2005. "Spatial Economic Theory of Pollution Control under Stochastic Emissions," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 05-A009, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Hennessy, David A. & Wei, Wei, 2000.
"Decisions and tradable production quota when yield is uncertain,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(2), June.
- Hennessy, David A. & Wei, W., 2000. "Decisions and Tradeable Production Quota When Yield is Uncertain," Staff General Research Papers 1701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2010.
"Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy,"
20520, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra & Dirk T.G. Rübbelke, 2007.
"Group Rewards and Individual Sanctions in Environmental Policy,"
2007.44, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Dijkstra, Bouwe R. & Rübbelke, Dirk T.G., 2013. "Group rewards and individual sanctions in environmental policy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 38-59.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra & Dirk T.G. Rübbelke, . "Group rewards and individual sanctions in environmental policy," Discussion Papers 07/01, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Karl-Martin Ehrhart & Christian Hoppe & Ralf Löschel, 2008. "Abuse of EU Emissions Trading for Tacit Collusion," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(3), pages 347-361, November.
- Stephen P. Holland & Michael R. Moore, 2012. "Market Design in Cap and Trade Programs: Permit Validity and Compliance Timing," NBER Working Papers 18098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Innes, Robert, 2003. "Stochastic pollution, costly sanctions, and optimality of emission permit banking," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 546-568, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.