Option Value of Emission Allowances
AbstractWe study the market for emission allowances stipulated in the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendment. We assume that the number of allowances is fixed and that demand is affected by a stochastic parameter that follows a Wiener process ('Brownian motion'). The optimal investment policy for scrubbers is characterized. Investments in scrubbers are reduced if there is greater uncertainty about future market conditions. This is because purchases of emission allowances provide flexibility to adapt to demand conditions in a way that installing scrubbers does not. The price of emission allowances may therefore exceed the marginal cost of scrubbers by an amount called the option value. We derive an explicit formula for the option value and present computational results to illustrate its likely magnitude. Copyright 1993 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhao, Jinhua, 2000.
"Irreversible Abatement Investment Under Cost Uncertainties: Tradable Emission Permits And Emissions Charges,"
2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL
21816, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zhao, Jinhua, 2003. "Irreversible abatement investment under cost uncertainties: tradable emission permits and emissions charges," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2765-2789, December.
- Jinhua Zhao, 2000. "Irreversible Abatement Investment Under Cost Uncertainties: Tradable Emission Permits and Emissions Charges," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp252, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Zhao, Jinhua, 2003. "Irreversible Abatement Investment Under Cost Uncertainties: Tradable Emission Permits and Emissions Charges," Staff General Research Papers 10223, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Arthur Caplan, 2008. "Incremental and Average Control Costs in a Model of Water Quality Trading with Discrete Abatement Units," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(3), pages 419-435, November.
- B Hansj�rgens, 1998. "The sulfur dioxide allowance-trading program in the USA: recent developments and lessons to be learned," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 16(3), pages 341-361, June.
- L. Gangadharan & A. Farrell & R. Croson, 2005. "Investment Decisions and Emissions Reductions : Results from Experiments in Emissions Trading," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 942, The University of Melbourne.
- Slechten, Aurélie, 2013.
"Intertemporal links in cap-and-trade schemes,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 319-336.
- Glazer, Amihai & Lave, Charles, 1996.
"Regulation by Prices and by Command,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 191-97, March.
- Glazer, Amihai & Lave, Charles, 1995. "Regulation by Prices and by Command," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt6bs9v6wk, University of California Transportation Center.
- Baldursson, Fridrik M. & von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M., 2009.
"Price Volatility and Risk Exposure: on the Interaction of Quota and Product Markets,"
11/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Fridrik Baldursson & Nils-Henrik Fehr, 2012. "Price Volatility and Risk Exposure: On the Interaction of Quota and Product Markets," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Baldursson, Fridrik M. & Fehr, Nils-Henrik M. von der, 2009. "Price volatility and risk exposure: on the interaction of quota and product markets," MPRA Paper 14994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marc Chesney & Luca Taschini & Mei Wang, 2011. "Experimental comparison between markets on dynamic permit trading and investment in irreversible abatement with and without nonregulated companies," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 41, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Krysiak, Frank C., 2008. "Prices vs. quantities: The effects on technology choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1275-1287, June.
- Baldursson, Fridrik M. & von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M, 2002. "Prices vs quantitities: the case of risk averse agents," Memorandum 01/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hennessy, David A. & Roosen, Jutta, 1999.
"Stochastic Pollution, Permits, and Merger Incentives,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 211-232, May.
- Hennessy, David A. & Roosen, Jutta, 1999. "Stochastic Pollution, Permits, and Merger Incentives," Staff General Research Papers 1700, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Burtraw, Dallas, 1995. "Cost Savings sans Allowance Trades? Evaluating the SO2 Emission Trading Program to Date," Discussion Papers dp-95-30-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Burtraw, Dallas, 2000. "Innovation Under the Tradable Sulfur Dioxide Emission Permits Program in the U.S. Electricity Sector," Discussion Papers dp-00-38, Resources For the Future.
- Vidar Christiansen & Stephen Smith, 2013. "Emissions Taxes and Abatement Regulation under Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 4121, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marc Chesney & Luca Taschini & Mei Wang, 2011. "Regulated and non-regulated companies, technology adoption in experimental markets for emission permits, and options contracts," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 37577, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Li, Shoude, 2013. "Emission permit banking, pollution abatement and production–inventory control of the firm," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 679-685.
- Frank Krysiak, 2008. "Ex-post efficient permit markets: a detailed analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(4), pages 397-410, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.