On the asymptotic t-test for large nonstationary panel models
AbstractThe asymptotic t-test for the long-run average in a heterogeneous nonstationary panel model is derived. The asymptotics of the Least Squares Dummy Variable (LSDV) and of the Pooled-OLS (POLS) estimators for the slope parameter are studied under various circumstances (serial correlation, strong cross-sectional dependence in the errors and in the regressors and mixed stationary/nonstationary errors) and a modified estimator of the asymptotic variance is derived. The asymptotic variance is computed up to a simple transformation of the residual and no nuisance parameters need to be estimated. The resulting t-statistics are shown to have a standard normal limiting distribution. Asymptotic tests based on the standardized version of the t-statistic are shown to have good power properties, and the correct size, even for n as small as 25.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Panel data; t-test; Asymptotics; Monte Carlo; Common factors;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Pedroni, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity Tests In Cointegrated Panels,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 727-731, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Pedroni PPP tests on panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00132, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity Tests in Cointegrated Panels," Department of Economics Working Papers 2001-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Nonstationary Panel Data Analysis: An Overview of Some Recent Developments,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1221, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter Phillips & Hyungsik Moon, 2000. "Nonstationary panel data analysis: an overview of some recent developments," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 263-286.
- Choi, Chi-Young & Hu, Ling & Ogaki, Masao, 2008. "Robust estimation for structural spurious regressions and a Hausman-type cointegration test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 327-351, January.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 2004.
"Cross-section Regression with Common Shocks,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm401, Yale School of Management.
- Trapani, Lorenzo & Urga, Giovanni, 2009.
"Optimal forecasting with heterogeneous panels: A Monte Carlo study,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 567-586, July.
- Lorenzo Trapani & Giovanni Urga, 2006. "Optimal forecasting with heterogeneous panels: a Monte Carlo study," Working Papers 0616, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Bai, Jushan, 2004. "Estimating cross-section common stochastic trends in nonstationary panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 137-183, September.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Fabio Spagnolo, 2004. "Is the Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle History?," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(5), pages 569-590, 09.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2006.
"Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(4), pages 967-1012, 07.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 1331, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao & Long Liu, 2008. "Asymptotic properties of estimators for the linear panel regression model with random individual effects and serially correlated errors: the case of stationary and non-stationary regressors and residu," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(3), pages 554-572, November.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Fuertes, Ana-Maria, 2008. "Sieve bootstrap t-tests on long-run average parameters," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3354-3370, March.
- Ng, Serena, 2008. "A Simple Test for Nonstationarity in Mixed Panels," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 113-127, January.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2003.
"Estimation of the Long-run Average Relationship in Nonstationary Panel Time Series,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5002z0pn, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2004. "Estimation Of The Long-Run Average Relationship In Nonstationary Panel Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1227-1260, December.
- Jonathan Temple, 1999. "The New Growth Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 112-156, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.