A Complete Decomposition of Unemployment Dynamics using Longitudinal Grouped Duration Data
AbstractIn this paper, we study the unemployment dynamics in the Belgian regions, Flanders and Wallonia, on the basis of aggregate stratified data covering the period 1973-93. We decompose the aggregate exit probability from unemployment into calendar time and, both observed and unobserved, compositional effects. We find that changes in the inflow composition affect the cyclical fluctuations in unemployment duration only marginally. However, the long-run improvement in the quality of entrants into unemployment, notably in terms of educational attainment, mitigates the strong upward trend in this duration. This is a new result as none of the existing studies purges the trend in the aggregate outflow rate of the variation in its composition. We also conclude that in Belgium, incidence explains as much as 45% of the evolution of unemployment. Finally, the diverging evolution of unemployment across Flanders and Wallonia predominantly results from a stronger decline in the exit rates from unemployment in Wallonia. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 67 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cockx, Bart & Dejemeppe, Muriel, 2010.
"The Threat of Monitoring Job Search: A Discontinuity Design,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5337, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- B. Cockx & M. Dejemeppe, 2010. "The Threat of Monitoring Job Search. A Discontinuity Design," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/685, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Bart Cockx & Muriel Dejemeppe, 2010. "The Threat of Monitoring Job Search. A Discontinuity Design," CESifo Working Paper Series 3267, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bart COCKX & Muriel DEJEMEPPE, 2010. "The Threat of Monitoring Job Search. A Discontinuity Design," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2010041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Van der Linden, Bruno, 2005.
"Equilibrium Evaluation of Active Labor Market Programmes Enhancing Matching Effectiveness,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1526, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bruno, VAN DER LINDEN, 2005. "Equilibrium Evaluation of Active Labor Market Programmes Enhancing Matching Effectiveness," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005007, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Gabriele Cardullo & Bruno Van der Linden, 2007.
"Employment Subsidies and Substitutable Skills: An Equilibrium Matching Approach,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(4), pages 375-404.
- Cardullo, Gabriele & Van der Linden, Bruno, 2006. "Employment Subsidies and Substitutable Skills: An Equilibrium Matching Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2073, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gabriele, CARDULLO & Bruno, VANDERLINDEN, 2006. "Employment subsidies and substitutable skills : An equilibrium matching approach," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006010, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Cockx, Bart & Dejemeppe, Muriel, 2002.
"Duration Dependence in the Exit Rate out of Unemployment in Belgium: Is It True or Spurious?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
632, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Muriel Dejemeppe & Bart Cockx, 2005. "Duration dependence in the exit rate out of unemployment in Belgium. Is it true or spurious?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 1-23.
- Michal Franta, 2008. "Time Aggregation Bias in Discrete Time Models of Aggregate Duration Data," Working Papers 2008/10, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.