Study of the Measurement and Determinants of Intra-industry Trade in East Asia
AbstractThe present paper investigates the development of intra-industry trade (IIT) among the East Asian economies over the 1970-1996 period. A dynamic index is used to capture the changes in the structure of trade flows. Based on this approach, IIT is decomposed into horizontal (HIIT) and vertical components (VIIT) and the determinants of each are investigated. The results show that both HIIT and VIIT have exhibited increased importance over the sample period in manufacturing. Using pooled panel data the two-way trade in all measures of IIT is found to be positively related to the country-specific variables, such as the market size, exhange rate depreciation, the levels of development and income, and negatively to the geographic proximity of the partners. Economies of scale are seen to have a positive influence on IIT and HIIT, but a negative relationship with VIIT. Although the relative openness of a country's trade regime shows no significant relationship with any form of IIT, a trade imbalance does affect IIT and HIIT flows. The findings have implications for assessing the structural adjustment costs associated with the trade liberalization process as HIIT is associated with demand for variety and relates to two-way trade in goods of similar quality, while VIIT is driven by international specialization and differences in relative factor endowments. Copyright 2005 East Asian Economic Association..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by East Asian Economic Association in its journal Asian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 19 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1351-3958
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2009.
"The Intra-industry Trade for a Highincome Country: New Empirical Evidence for Italy,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(2), pages 233-254.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, 2008. "The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 211, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2008. "The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-17, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Wang Jing & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio C. Faustino, 2010. "Intra-Industry Trade in Agricultural Products: The Case of China," Working Papers 2010/06, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007.
"Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 685-700, August.
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Maylene Y. Damoense-Azevedo & AndrÃ© C. Jordaan, 2012. "Factors influencing bilateral intra-industry trade in the auto industry: the case of South Africa," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 63-82.
- Rosanna Pittiglio & Filippo Reganati, 2012. "Vertical intra-industry trade in higher and lower quality: a new approach of measuring country-specific determinants," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 44-62.
- Yose Rizal Damuri & Raymond Atje & Arya B. Gaduh, 2006.
"Integration and Trade Specialization in East Asia,"
Trade Working Papers
21995, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Imre Ferto & KÃ¡roly Attila SoÃ³s, 2012. "Controversial issues in factors determining intra-industry trade," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 132-148.
- Masanaga Kumakura, 2009. "A note on using Comtrade for empirical trade research," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1330-1344.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.