Patterns and determinants of intra-industry trade in Asia
AbstractIntra-industry trade (IIT) has gained in importance across Asia as a result of the rapid growth of Asian economies and their key role in the international fragmentation of production. This paper examines the level of IIT for 22 countries in East, Southeast, South, and Central Asia in 2003. IIT is measured as a multilateral trade-weighted index and is reported for ten different categories of goods in the primary and secondary sectors. In addition, the determinants of IIT are investigated using a Tobit regression model. The results indicate that ASEAN and the high-income countries in East Asia exhibit the highest levels of IIT, followed closely by China and India. R&D spending, openness, and a higher share of manufactured exports were found to promote IIT, while geographical distance and the difference in economic size had an adverse effect, especially for manufactured goods. The ASEAN free trade area was most prominently associated with IIT across all SITC categories. Central and South Asian regional trade agreements had a positive influence on IIT in primary products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Intra-industry trade Asia;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joakim Gullstrand, 2002. "Does the measurement of intra-industry trade matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 317-339, June.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Zhaoyong Zhang & LI Chuan, 2006. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of intra-industry trade in China's manufacturing," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 1137-1149.
- Michael Thorpe & Zhaoyang Zhang, 2005. "Study of the Measurement and Determinants of Intra-industry Trade in East Asia ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 231-247, 06.
- Ryuhei Wakasugi, 2007. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Economic Integration in East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 6(1), pages 26-39, February.
- Jianhong Zhang & Arjen van Witteloostuijn & Chaohong Zhou, 2005. "Chinese Bilateral Intra-Industry Trade: A Panel Data Study for 50 Countries in the 1992–2001 Period," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(3), pages 510-540, October.
- Byun Jae Jin & Lee Sang-Hyop, 2005. "Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade: New Evidence from Korea, 1991-1999," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Chan-Hyun Sohn & Zhaoyong Zhang, 2005. "How Intra-Industry Trade Is Related to Income Difference and Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 4(3), pages 143-156, October.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- Bhattacharyya, Ranajoy, 2005. "Economic Development and Intra-industry Trade in the Republic of Korea," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 809-831.
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007.
"Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
1/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 685-700, August.
- Rana, Pradumna B., 2006. "Economic Integration in East Asia: Trends, Prospects, and a Possible Roadmap," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 2, Asian Development Bank.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
- Das, Gouranga G., 2003. "Growth and Pattern of Intra-Industry Trade in Manufactures in Inida's Overall Trade:A Quantitative Analysis," MPRA Paper 37919, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006.
"Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005. "Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Rana, Pradumna B., 2007. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: The Case of East Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 10, Asian Development Bank.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Guobing Shen & Anthony Yanxiang Gu, 2007. "Revealed Comparative Advantage, Intra-industry Trade and the US Manufacturing Trade Deficit with China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 15(6), pages 87-103.
- Lee, Jaimin & Han, Sangyong, 2008. "Intra-Industry Trade and tariff rates of Korea and China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 697-703, December.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Choorikkad Veeramani, 2002. "Intra-industry trade of India: Trends and country-specific factors," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 509-533, September.
- Wakasugi, R., 1997. "Missing factors of intra-industry trade: Some empirical evidence based on Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 353-362, August.
- Carlos Cortinhas, 2007.
"Intra-industry trade and business cycles in ASEAN,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(7), pages 893-902.
- Ando, Mitsuyo, 2006. "Fragmentation and vertical intra-industry trade in East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-281, December.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005.
"Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006. "Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Mitchell Kellman & Mitchell Yochanan Shachmurove, 2012. "Trade Sophistication in a Transition Economy: Poland 1980–2009," Working Papers 64, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- Nathapornpan Piyaareekul Uttama, 2012. "Some new evidence on intra-industry trade and complex FDI in ASEAN countries: a spatial panel approach," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 116-131.
- Nobuaki Hamaguchi & Silvio Miyazaki & Leonardo Correia, 2014. "State Space Application to Recent Automobile Sector Triangle Trade between Japan and Latin America," Discussion Paper Series DP2014-05, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Li, Fangyi & Song, Zhouying & Liu, Weidong, 2014. "China's energy consumption under the global economic crisis: Decomposition and sectoral analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 193-202.
- Clark, Don P., 2011. "Factor adjustment implications of a free trade agreement between the United States and Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 213-221, June.
- Valerija Botrić, 2013. "Determinants of Intra-industry Trade between Western Balkans and EU-15: Evidence from Bilateral Data," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 6(2), pages 7-23, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.