Vertical intra-industry trade in higher and lower quality: a new approach of measuring country-specific determinants
AbstractThis paper aims to contribute empirically to the knowledge concerning the nature and causes of Italian vertical intra-industry trade (VIIT), distinguishing between high- and low-quality VIIT. The value-added of this study arises from the fact that it utilises a new approach to measure country-specific determinants, with the advantage that it eliminates the effects linked to the hypothesis of homogeneity between sectors within the same country. Therefore, differently from past studies on intra-industry trade, in this paper the characteristics of a particular country are measured by referring to information not only at aggregated level, but also at industry level. Our findings reveal that the determinants are not only same for the three dependent variables, but also depend on the technological intensity of goods. This confirms the particular nature of the Italian specialisation model, which is very different from that in other industrialised countries that tend to be located, at the higher end of the price-quality spectrum.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Inderscience Enterprises Ltd in its journal Int. J. of Economics and Business Research.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==310
vertical trade; product quality; product differentiation; higher quality trade; lower quality trade; country-specific determinants; determinant measurement; Italy; homogeneity; industrial sectors; dependent variables; technological intensity; industrialised countries; price-quality spectrum; economics; business research; intra-industry trade.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
- Yushi Yoshida & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2009. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment between Japan and European Countries," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(4), pages 351-365, December.
- Lisbeth Hellvin, 1996. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade Between China and OECD Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 114, OECD Publishing.
- Choorikkad Veeramani, 2002. "Intra-industry trade of India: Trends and country-specific factors," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 509-533, September.
- Joakim Gullstrand, 2002. "Does the measurement of intra-industry trade matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 317-339, June.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Fontoura, 2004. "Intra-industry trade by types: What can we learn from Portuguese data?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 52-79, March.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio C. Faustino & Yushi Yoshida, 2010. "Fragmentation, Vertical Intra-Industry Trade, and Automobile components," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1006-1015.
- Yushi Yoshida & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2008. "Intra-Industry Trade between Japan and European Countries: a Closer Look at the Quality Gap in VIIT," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/53, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Michael Thorpe & Zhaoyang Zhang, 2005. "Study of the Measurement and Determinants of Intra-industry Trade in East Asia ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 231-247, 06.
- Carmen Mora, 2002. "The role of comparative advantage in trade within industries: A panel data approach for the European Union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 291-316, June.
- Filippo Reganati & Rosanna Pittiglio, 2005. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade: Patterns And Determinants In The Italian Case," Quaderni DSEMS 06-2005, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris & Elliott, Robert J R, 1999. " UK Intra-industry Trade with the EU North and South," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 365-84, August.
- Rudolf Loertscher & Frank Wolter, 1980. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: Among countries and across industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 280-293, June.
- Joe Stone & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 1995. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: A longitudinal, cross-country analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1989.
"The Volume and Composition of Trade Between Rich and Poor Countries,"
849, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1991. "The Volume and Composition of Trade between Rich and Poor Countries," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Joan Martín-Montaner & Vicente Ríos, 2002. "Vertical specialization and intra-industry trade: The role of factor endowments," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 340-365, June.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Horácio Faustino & Nuno Carlos Leitão, 2007. "Country-Specific Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade in Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/27, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.