In Search for Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade within an Enlarged Europe
AbstractMost trade between the European Union (EU) and the Central and Eastern European Countries (CEEC) is inter-industrial in nature, based on comparative advantages. However, recent studies have uncovered structural changes in the nature of trade, the most unexpected being the rapid increase in Intra-industry trade (IIT). In this paper we characterise the dynamics of the CEEC-EU trade using several methodologies that evaluate the type of trade and price-quality ranges. The analysis confirms that there was a significant decline in inter-industrial trade and an increasing specialisation in vertical IIT. Moreover, we found substantial differences in the unit values of exported and imported goods, which suggest that the increasing weight of IIT in the EU-CEEC trade does not result from the factorial contents convergence of the traded goods. Therefore, these trends indicate the emergence of a new division of labour in the enlarged EU. Using a panel data approach we also identify the determinants of vertical and horizontal IIT. The results allow us to conclude that there are some differences in the determinants of these types of trade, although both seem to have a statistically significant relationship with country?s size and Foreign Direct Investment flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal) in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2_2006.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Intra-industry Trade; European Union enlargement; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-02-12 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2006-02-12 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2006-02-12 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Valerija Botric, 2012. "Intra-industry Trade between the European Union and Western Balkans: A Close-up," Working Papers 1202, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Orszaghova, Lucia & Savelin, Li & Schudel, Willem, 2013. "External competitiveness of EU candidate countries," Occasional Paper Series 141, European Central Bank.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009.
"Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from Two Eastern European Countries,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
875, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christophe Rault & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009. "Trade Specialisation And Economic Convergence: Evidence From Two Eastern European Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp959, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2011. "Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from two Eastern European Countries," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_071, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Yoo-Duk Kang, 2010. "Intra-industry Trade in an Enlarged Europe : Trend of Intra-industry Trade in the European Union and its Determinants," Trade Working Papers 23110, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Imre Ferto & KÃ¡roly Attila SoÃ³s, 2012. "Controversial issues in factors determining intra-industry trade," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 132-148.
- Bergs, Rolf, 2010. "Cross-border co-operation and European economic integration: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 25413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan Faruq, 2006. "New Evidence on Product Quality and Trade," Caepr Working Papers 2006-019, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Neil Foster & Robert Stehrer, 2011.
"Preferential trade agreements and the structure of international trade,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 147(3), pages 385-409, September.
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Robert Stehrer, 2010. "Preferential Trade Agreements and the Structure of International Trade," wiiw Working Papers 61, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Nathapornpan Piyaareekul Uttama, 2012. "Some new evidence on intra-industry trade and complex FDI in ASEAN countries: a spatial panel approach," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 116-131.
- Lukasz Ambroziak, 2012. "FDI and intra-industry trade: theory and empirical evidence from the Visegrad Countries," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 180-198.
- Valerija Botrić, 2013. "Determinants of Intra-industry Trade between Western Balkans and EU-15: Evidence from Bilateral Data," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 6(2), pages 7-23, September.
- Attila Jambor, 2013. "Country-specific determinants of horizontal and vertical intra-industry agri-food trade of the Visegrad Countries," FIW Working Paper series 104, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Aurora Murcho Galego).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.