The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy
AbstractThis paper examines the determinants of Italian intra-industry trade in horizontally and vertically differentiated products, using a dataset which eliminates the effects linked to the hypothesis of homogeneity both between countries - when specific industry characteristics are analysed - and between sectors - within the same country. In this way, within limits, we have tried to address an issue raised by Greenaway et al. in 1999 which, in the light of the current state of the literature on intra-industry trade, does not seem to have been explicitly dealt with. Our paper highlights how strong the impact of this hypothesis could be in the analyses of the determinants of intra-industry trade in the case of Italy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Studies, University of Dundee in its series Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics with number 211.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
intra-Industry trade; international trade; differentiated products; Italian trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2009. "The Intra-industry Trade for a Highincome Country: New Empirical Evidence for Italy," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(2), pages 233-254.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2008. "The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-17, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joakim Gullstrand, 2002. "Does the measurement of intra-industry trade matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 317-339, June.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Fontoura, 2004. "Intra-industry trade by types: What can we learn from Portuguese data?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 52-79, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, 2005. "Commercio e Produzione Internazionale: unanalisi sul caso italiano," Quaderni DSEMS 26-2005, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Veeramani C, 2001.
"India's intra-industry trade under economic liberalization: Trends and country specific factors,"
Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers
313, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Veeramani C, 2010. "India's Intra- Industry Trade Under Economic Liberalization: Trends and Country Specific Factors," Working Papers id:2967, eSocialSciences.
- Montout, Sylvie & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis & Zignago, Soledad, 2001.
"Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade of Nafta and Mercosur: The case of the automobile industry,"
43928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sylvie MONTOUT & Jean-Louis MUCCHIELLI & Soledad ZIGNAGO, 2002. "Regionalization And Intra-Industry Trade. An Analysis Of Automobile Industry Trade In Nafta," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 16, pages 137-159.
- Joe Stone & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 1995. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: A longitudinal, cross-country analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Robert Ballance & Helmut Forstner & W. Sawyer, 1992. "An empirical examination of the role of vertical product differentiation in north-south trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(2), pages 330-338, June.
- Choorikkad Veeramani, 2002. "Intra-industry trade of India: Trends and country-specific factors," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 509-533, September.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris & Elliott, Robert J R, 1999. " UK Intra-industry Trade with the EU North and South," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 365-84, August.
- Michael Thorpe & Zhaoyang Zhang, 2005. "Study of the Measurement and Determinants of Intra-industry Trade in East Asia ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 231-247, 06.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Giuseppe Celi, 1999. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-Industry Trade: What is the Empirical Evidence for the UK?," CELPE Discussion Papers 49, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Steven Globerman & James Dean, 1990. "Recent trends in intra-industry trade and their implications for future trade liberalization," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 25-49, March.
- Filippo Reganati & Rosanna Pittiglio, 2005. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade: Patterns And Determinants In The Italian Case," Quaderni DSEMS 06-2005, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Ernesto Somma, 1994. "Intra-industry trade in the European computers industry," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(4), pages 784-799, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.