Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US
AbstractThis paper analyzes dynamic changes of China's intra-industry trade with its major trading partners, Japan and the US, from 1980 to 2004. It also investigates to what extent foreign direct investment promoted intra-industry trade. The empirical results show that, while shares of China's intra-industry trade with both Japan and U.S rose substantially, its intra-industry trade with Japan has reached 35 per cent of the overall trade, considerably larger than 10 per cent with the US. Sino-Japan intra-industry trade concentrated in the electrical and machinery sectors accounted for 52 per cent and 46 per cent of overall trade respectively. On the other hand, it is in the chemical and food sectors where intra-industry trade represented a relatively large proportion of Sino-US trade, 50 per cent and 30 per cent accordingly in each sector. In addition, the analysis indicates that Japanese direct investment in China performed a significant role in enhancing intra-industry trade between Japan and China. However, it found no evidence that the US direct investment in China contributed to the growth of the bilateral intra-industry trade between the two countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Other versions of this item:
- Xing, Yuqing, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and China's bilateral intra-industry trade with Japan and the US," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuqing Xing & Guanghua Wan, 2006. "Exchange Rates and Competition for FDI in Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 419-434, 04.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Nicolas R. Blancher & Thomas Rumbaugh, 2004. "China: International Trade and WTO Accession," IMF Working Papers 04/36, International Monetary Fund.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- repec:rus:hseeco:121607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pol Antràs, 2003.
"Firms, Contracts, and Trade Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antras, Pol, 2003. "Firms, Contracts, and Trade Structure," Scholarly Articles 3196328, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lisbeth Hellvin, 1996. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade Between China and OECD Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 114, OECD Publishing.
- Lim, Sokchea & Khun, Channary, 2010. "U.S. Bilateral Trade Deficits with China and Japan: The Role of Japanese Direct Investment," MPRA Paper 30740, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clark, Don P., 2011. "Factor adjustment implications of a free trade agreement between the United States and Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 213-221, June.
- Sawyer, William C. & Sprinkle, Richard L. & Tochkov, Kiril, 2010. "Patterns and determinants of intra-industry trade in Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 485-493, October.
- Pomfret, Richard & Sourdin, Patricia, 2009. "Have Asian trade agreements reduced trade costs?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 255-268, May.
- Dean, Judith M. & Lovely, Mary E. & Mora, Jesse, 2009. "Decomposing China-Japan-U.S. trade: Vertical specialization, ownership, and organizational form," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 596-610, November.
- Greaney, Theresa M. & Li, Yao, 2009. "Assessing foreign direct investment relationships between China, Japan, and the United States," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 611-625, November.
- Richard Pomfret, 2009. "Regionalism in the Asia-Pacific Region: How Wide, How Deep?," School of Economics Working Papers 2009-31, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.