Intra-Industry Trade in Agricultural and Food Products: The Case of Ukraine
AbstractWe present an analysis of agricultural and food trade in Ukraine over the period 1996-2002 focusing on different aspects of intra-industry trade. We estimated Grubel-Lloyd and marginal IIT indexes to examine the relevance of intra-industry trade between Ukraine and its trading partners and the changes in nature of trade flows over time. The results indicate that the major part of agro-food trade is of the inter-industry type, and thus a product of underlying comparative advantages. The low level of index seems to be typical for primary sectors in comparison to industries with higher product differentiation. Also marginal IIT appears to be low, the structure of the changes in agro-food trade flows between Ukraine and its trading partners during the analyzed period is shown to be predominantly intraindustry. These results imply that the restructuring process, associated with trade liberalization of Ukraine on bilateral and multilateral level, will induce higher adjustment costs than in an intra-industry trade environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark with number 24632.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
intra-industry trade; marginal intra-industry trade; agro-food products; Ukraine; International Relations/Trade; F14; Q17;
Other versions of this item:
- Luka, Oksana & Levkovych, Inna, 2004. "Intra-industry trade in agricultural and food products: the case of Ukraine," IAMO Discussion Papers 78, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997.
"Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade between East and West Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Determinants of intra-industry trade between East and West Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1850, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1996. "Intra-Industry Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and the Reorientation of East European Exports," CEPR Discussion Papers 1377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Aquino, 1978. "Intra-industry trade and inter-industry specialization as concurrent sources of International Trade in manufactures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 275-296, June.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1996. "Intra-industry trade, foreign direct investment, and the reorientation of Eastern European exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1652, The World Bank.
- Štefan Bojnec, 2001. "Patterns of Intra-Industry Trade in Agricultural and Food Products During Transition," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(1), pages 61-89, January.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000.
"The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999. "The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain," European Economy Group Working Papers 1, European Economy Group.
- Joakim Gullstrand, 2002. "Does the measurement of intra-industry trade matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 317-339, June.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Božić, Dragica & Nikolić, Marija M., 2013. "Regional Analysis of Agricultural and Food Trade of Serbia," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160374, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ferto, Imre, 2006. "Reconsidering Adjustment Costs of the Association Agreement. The Case of Hungarian Food Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21037, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.