Measuring the economic inefficiency of Nepalese rice farms using data envelopment analysis
AbstractA data envelopment analysis of a sample of 76 Nepalese rice farmers reveals average relative economic, allocative, technical, pure technical and scale inefficiencies as 34, 13, 24, 18 and 7 per cent, respectively. The significant variations in the level of inefficiency across sample farms are attributed to the variations in the 'use intensities' of resources such as seed, labour, fertilisers and mechanical power. In addition, a second stage Tobit regression shows the variation is also related to farm-specific attributes such as the farmers' level of risk attitude, the farm manager's gender, age, education and family labour endowment. Based on the empirical findings, policy implications and development strategies for improving efficiency of Nepalese rice farms are briefly discussed. Copyright 2004 Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural & Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Udayanganie, A.D.D. & Prasada, Dickwella Vidanage Pahan & Kodithuwakku, K.A.S.S. & Weerahewa, Jeevika & Little, D.C., 2006. "Efficiency Of The Agrochemical Input Usage In The Paddy Farming Systems In The Dry Zone Of Sri Lanka," Annual Meeting, May 25-28, 2006, Montreal, Quebec 34181, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.
- Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Marijke & Buysse, Jeroen & D'Haese, Luc, 2008. "A measure for the efficiency of water use and its determinants, a case study of small-scale irrigation schemes in North-West Province, South Africa," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 31-39, July.
- Frantisek Brazdik, 2006. "Non-Parametric Analysis of Technical Efficiency: Factors Affecting Efficiency of West Java Rice Farms," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp286, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Watto, Muhammad, 2013. "Measuring Groundwater Irrigation Efficiency in Pakistan: A DEA Approach Using the Sub-vector and Slack-based Models," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152204, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Víctor Moreira López & José Maripani & Abdourahmane Thiam & Teodoro Rivas, 2007. "Technical efficiency in farming: a meta-regression analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-72, February.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Wen, Fang-I, 2008. "Off-farm Work, Technical Efficiency, and Production Risk: Empirical Evidence from a National Farmer Survey in Taiwan," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6164, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sana Sadaf & Khalid Riaz, 2012. "Does Access to Modern Marketing Channels Improve Dairy Enterprises’ Efficiency? A Case Study of Punjab, Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 17(1), pages 63-82, Jan-June.
- Thibbotuwawa, Manoj & Mugera, Amin W. & White, Benedict, 2012. "A Non-Parametric Analysis of Rice Production Efficiency in Sri Lanka," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124423, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Carravilla, M. A. & Oliveira, J. F., 2013. "Operations Research in Agriculture: Better Decisions for a Scarce and Uncertain World," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 5(2), June.
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "A survey of DEA applications," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 893-902.
- Hagos, Hosaena Ghebru & Holden, Stein, 2013. "Efficiency and productivity differential effects of land certification program in Ethiopia : Quasi-experimental evidence from Tigray:," IFPRI discussion papers 1295, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Speelman, Stijn & Buysse, Jeroen & Frija, Aymen & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & D'Haese, Luc, 2008. "Estimating The Effect Of Water Charge Introduction At Small-Scale Irrigation Schemes In North West Province, South Africa," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6646, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thankgod, Peter Ojimba, 1. "Socio-Demographic Factors As Determinants Of Poverty In Crude Oil Polluted Crop Farms In Rivers State, Nigeria," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 1.
- Watkins, K. Bradley & Hristovska, Tatjana & Mazzanti, Ralph & Wilson, Charles E., Jr., . "Measuring Technical, Allocative, and Economic Efficiency of Rice Production in Arkansas using Data Envelopment Analysis," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142962, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Rios, Ana R. & Masters, William A. & Shively, Gerald E., 2008. "Linkages between Market Participation and Productivity: Results from a Multi-Country Farm Household Sample," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6145, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hristovska, Tatjana & Watkins, K. Bradley & Mazzanti, Ralph & Wilson, Charles E., Jr., 2013. "Effects of Field Characteristics and Management on Technical, Allocative, and Economic Efficiency of Rice Production in Arkansas," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143042, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & Buysse, Jeroen & D'Haese, Luc, 2007. "Technical efficiency of water use and its determinants, study at efficiencies in small-scale irrigation schemes in North-West Province, South Africa," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7904, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Watto, Muhammad Arif & Mugera, Amin William, 2013. "Measuring Groundwater Irrigation Efficiency in Pakistan: A DEA Approach Using the Sub-vector and Slack-based Models," Working Papers 144943, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Thibbotuwawa, Manoj & Mugera, Amin & White, Ben, 2013. "Production Efficiency and Technology Gap in Irrigated and Rain-fed Rice Farming Systems in Sri Lanka: Non Parametric Approach," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152181, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Vu Hoang Linh, 2012. "Efficiency of rice farming households in Vietnam," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(1), pages 60-73, April.
- Rios, Ana R. & Shively, Gerald E. & Masters, William A., 2009. "Farm Productivity and Household Market Participation: Evidence from LSMS Data," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51031, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rios, Ana R. & Shively, Gerald E., 2005. "Farm size and nonparametric efficiency measurements for coffee farms in Vietnam," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19159, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.