Transnationale Familien: Zur Entstehung, zum Ausmaß und zu den Konsequenzen der migrationsbedingten Eltern-Kind-Trennung in Familien aus den klassischen Gastarbeiterländern in Deutschland
Research on youth migration in Germany has given only few attention to transnational family relations so far. The present paper focuses on guest workers' immigration strategies in order to explain the development and consequences of transnational family relations in the context of the recruitment of “gastarbeiter” in Germany. After presenting relevant theoretical considerations, survey data is used to test hypotheses on the extent of transnational family relations and resulting parent-child separation due to migration. The analysis of qualitative data permits the investigation of the familial decision-making processes concerning migration and the consequences of separation from parents experienced during childhood. Finally, the results of the quantitative and the qualitative analyses are combined in a multilevel model to describe and to explain transnational family relations.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin, Germany|
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borjas, George J & Bronars, Stephen G, 1991.
"Immigration and the Family,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(2), pages 123-148, April.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen G. Bronars, 1990. "Immigration and the Family," NBER Working Papers 3509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 1-9.
- Everett Lee, 1966. "A theory of migration," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 3(1), pages 47-57, March.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1978. "Family Migration Decisions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 749-773, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzbmit:spiv2008704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.