Risk sharing in the supplier relationship: new evidence from the Japanese automotive industry
The Japanese corporate system is assumed to contain an implicit insurance mechanism in various aspects. This paper proves the existence of risk sharing mechanism in supplier relations in a different way from the previous studies, using a unique data set of Japanese automotive parts suppliers. The results suggest that the auto makers absorb a part of the business risk of the suppliers, in spite of recent structural changes in the supplier system: The relative stability of their profit rate is significantly influenced by the intensity of business relations.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin, Germany|
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osano, Hiroshi & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 1986. "Credit rationing and implicit contract theory : An empirical study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 419-438, December.
- Horiuchi, Akiyoshi & Packer, Frank & Fukuda, Shinichi, 1988. "What role has the "Main Bank" played in Japan?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 159-180, June.
- Kawasaki, Seiichi & McMillan, John, 1987. "The design of contracts: Evidence from Japanese subcontracting," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 327-349, September.
- Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 1995. "Changing Subcontracting Relations and Risk-sharing in Japan: An Econometric Analysis of the Automobile Industry," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 36(2), pages 207-218, December.
- Asanuma, Banri & Kikutani, Tatsuya, 1992. "Risk absorption in Japanese subcontracting: A microeconometric study of the automobile industry," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The Japanese general trading company as an aspect of interfirm risk-sharing," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 308-322, September.
- Yun, Mikyung, 1999. "Subcontracting relations in the Korean automotive industry: risk sharing and technological capability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 81-108, January.
- Asanuma, Banri, 1989. "Manufacturer-supplier relationships in Japan and the concept of relation-specific skill," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Banri Asanuma, 1985. "The Organization of Parts Purchases in the Japanese Automotive Industry," Japanese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 13(4), pages 32-53, July.