Unemployment and inequality
Analysis of contemporary unemployment has increasingly focussed on the position of the least skilled. The deterioration in their labour market position is first situated in the context of structural trends in the labour market. The development of labour market inequality in the 1980s is summarised and the deteriorating employment position of the unskilled, both in terms of registered unemployment, withdrawal from the labour market and falling relative earnings is documented. Explanations for these trends are discussed, with the distinction being drawn between those which focus on changes in technology and trade patterns and those which see declining overall demand for labour as the primary factor. Alternative policy responses are surveyed, with emphasis on their distributional implications.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin, Germany|
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glyn, A, 1997.
"Does Aggregate Profitability Really Matter?,"
17, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1977. "Conflict, Inflation and Money," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(3), pages 215-39, September.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1990.
" The Wage Curve,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 215-35.
- Glyn, Andrew & Rowthorn, Bob, 1988. "West European Unemployment: Corporatism and Structural Change," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 194-99, May.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Malinvaud, Edmond, 1994.
"Growth and employment: The scope of a European initiative,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 489-504, April.
- Dreze, J. H. & Malinvaud, E., . "Growth and employment: The scope of a European initiative," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1097, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dreze, J. H. & Malinvaud, E., . "Growth and employment: the scope for a European initiative," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1082, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Howard J. Shatz, 1994. "Trade and Jobs in Manufacturing," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 1-84.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Why is the Unemployment Rate So Very High near Full Employment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 339-396.
- Bean, Charles R., 1994. "European unemployment: A retrospective," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 523-534, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzbece:fsi95303. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.