Six families of flexicurity indicators developed at the Hans Boeckler Foundation
The paper is an overview of over 30 publications on six models with flexicurity indicators developed at the Hans-Böckler-Foundation for monitoring and analysis of flexicurity. The latter is a new European labour market policy which should compensate the ongoing flexibilization of employment relations (resulting in easy dismissals, adjustable working time, and variable wages) by advances in employment security and social security. Flexibility is promoted by employers, whereas trade unions are concerned with security. The models are aimed at analyzing flexicurity from the following viewpoints: (1) neo-liberal, (2) trade-unionist, (3) of the European welfare state, (4) regarding precarious work, (5) regarding professional training and lifelong learning, and (6) regarding trends in collective agreements. All the six models provide empirical evidence of increasing flexibility together with decline of social security and rise of precarious employment. This is a serious warning against improper implementation of flexicurity and one-sided use of this policy in favor of employers. Finally six policy proposals are made: (1) to introduce flexinsurance, (2) to impose workplace tax, (3) to provide basic income, (4) to constrain financial markets, (5) to politicize and restructuralize trade unions, and (6) separate politics from economy.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz 1, D-40227 Düsseldorf|
Phone: +49 211 7778 0
Fax: +49 (0)211-7778-3124
Web page: http://www.boeckler.de/index_wsi.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard, 2006.
"European unemployment: the evolution of facts and ideas,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 5-59, 01.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2005. "European Unemployment: The Evolution of Facts and Ideas," NBER Working Papers 11750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKenzie, Lionel W, 1976.
Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 841-65, September.
- Tangian, Andranik S., 2004. "Defining the flexicurity index in application to European countries," WSI Discussion Papers 122, Hans-Böckler-Stiftung, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI).
- Willem Adema & Maxime Ladaique, 2005. "Net Social Expenditure, 2005 Edition: More Comprehensive Measures of Social Support," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 29, OECD Publishing.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Laura Poswell & Pranushka & Matthew Welch & Ingrid Woolard, 2004.
"Measuring recent changes in South African inequality and poverty using 1996 and 2001 census data,"
SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers
084, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Laura Poswell & Pranushka Naidoo & Matthew Welch & Ingrid Woolard, 2005. "Measuring Recent Changes in South African Inequality and Poverty using 1996 and 2001 Census Data," Working Papers 05094, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wsidps:168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.