The competition economics of financial fair play
This paper provides an economic analysis of the competition effects of UEFA's financial fair play regulations. It concludes that the restrictive effects of the break-even rule cannot be justified by a legitimate objective defense (according to European competition policy) because significant financial problems due to overinvestment are not inherent to European football.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0 36 77 / 69 - 40 30
Fax: (0049) (0)3677 69 4200
Web page: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Budzinski, 2011.
"The Institutional Framework for Doing Sports Business: Principles of EU Competition Policy in Sports Markets,"
1103, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Budzinski, Oliver, 2012. "The institutional framework for doing sports business: Principles of EU competition policy in sports markets," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 70, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Oliver Budzinski, 2011. "The Institutional Framework for Doing Sports Business: Principles of EU Competition Policy in Sports Markets," Working Papers 108/11, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- PEETERS, Thomas & SZYMANSKI, Stefan, 2012. "Vertical restraints in soccer: Financial fair play and the English Premier League," Working Papers 2012028, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- repec:jsf:intjsf:v:7:y:2012:i:2:p:117-140 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliver Budzinski & Björn A. Kuchinke, 2012.
"Deal or No Deal? Consensual Arrangements as an Instrument of European Competition Policy,"
Review of Economics,
Lucius & Lucius, vol. 63(3), pages 265-292.
- Budzinski, Oliver & Kuchinke, Björn A., 2012. "Deal or no deal? Consensual arrangements as an instrument of European competition policy," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 76, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Akerlof, George A, 1976. "The Economics of Caste and of the Rat Race and Other Woeful Tales," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 599-617, November.
- Markus Sass, 2012. "Long-term Competitive Balance under UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations," FEMM Working Papers 120005, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Egon Franck & Markus Lang, 2008.
"Overinvestment In Team Sports Leagues: A Contest Theory Model,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(3), pages 353-368, 07.
- Helmut Dietl & Egon Franck & Markus Lang, 2005. "Overinvestment in Team Sports Leagues: A Contest Theory Model," Working Papers 0002, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2007.
- Helmut Dietl & Egon Franck & Markus Lang, 2005. "Overinvestment in Team Sports Leagues: A Contest Theory Model," Working Papers 0038, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2007.
- Budzinski, Oliver & Szymanski, Stefan, 2014. "Are restrictions of competition by sports associations horizontal or vertical in nature?," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 86, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad & Zhou, Li, 2012. "Outcome Uncertainty, Reference-Dependent Preferences and Live Game Attendance," Working Papers 2012-7, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- PEETERS, Thomas & SZYMANSKI, Stefan, 2013.
"Financial fair play in European football,"
2013021, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Wladimir Andreff, 2007. "French Football: A Financial Crisis Rooted in Weak Governance," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00270019, HAL.
- Ángel Barajas & Plácido Rodríguez, 2014. "Spanish Football in Need of Financial Therapy: Cut Expenses and Inject Capital," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 9(1), pages 73-90, February.
- Budzinski, Oliver & Müller, Anika, 2013. "Finanzregulierung und internationale Wettbewerbsfähigkeit: Der Fall Deutsche Bundesliga," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 82, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuiedp:85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.