The Choice of Legal Form and its Effects on Good Governance: A Case Study of an Austrian Professional Soccer Club
The corporate governance of professional soccer clubs (PSCs) has come under close scrutiny as the financial situation of PSCs has worsened and numerous governance failures have occurred in European soccer. Literature argues that the choice of legal form is a main driver of good governance and the primary beneficiaries of enhanced corporate governance standards would be the PSCs themselves. The aim of this paper is therefore to investigate the impact of different legal forms on the level of good governance. By using a case study approach, the prevailing forms of the traditional non-profit association, business management agreement and spin-off of the first team into a corporation are assessed with regards to their degree of good governance. The Austrian PSC investigated has experienced all three legal forms within a time frame of ten years, which displays a unique setting. The measurement against the principles of good governance introduced in the ‘Guide for Football Clubs’ identifies significant failures for the legal forms of the non-profit association and the business management agreement. Results reveal that in terms of good governance the spin-off of the first team into a corporation seems to be the most adequate legal form for medium and large size PSCs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Ekonomika a management, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/eam/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Egon Franck, 2010.
"Private Firm, Public Corporation or Member’s Association Governance Structures in European Football,"
International Journal of Sport Finance,
Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(2), pages 108-127, May.
- Egon Franck, 2009. "Private Firm, Public Corporation or Member`s Association – Governance Structures in European Football," Working Papers 0106, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2010.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Egon Franck, 2007. "Governance Failure and Financial Crisis in German Football," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 8(6), pages 662-669, December.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997. " A Survey of Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-783, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Michie & Christine Oughton, 2005. "The Corporate Governance of Professional Football Clubs in England," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 517-531, July.
- Alexander Dilger, 2006. "Wieso sind Sportvereine Vereine?," IASE Conference Papers 0640, International Association of Sports Economists.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30728046 is not listed on IDEAS
- Babatunde Buraimo & Rob Simmons & Stefan Szymanski, 2006. "English Football," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 7(1), pages 29-46, February.
- John Vrooman, 2007. "Theory Of The Beautiful Game: The Unification Of European Football," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(3), pages 314-354, July.
- Sascha L. Schmidt & Matthias Brauer, 2006. "Strategic Governance: how to assess board effectiveness in guiding strategy execution," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 13-22, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnleam:v:2012:y:2012:i:3:id:171:p:23-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.