The Competitive Firm Under Price Uncertainty: The Role of Information and Hedging
We study the impact of transparency in a commodity market on the decision problem of a competitive firm under price uncertainty and hedging opportunities. Market transparency is modeled by means of the informational content of publicly observable signals which are correlated with the random price. We find that the impact of more transparency on labor employment and production depends on the firm's technology. Inparticular, more transparency may result in lower average output even though on average more labor has been used in the production process. We also analyze the link between market transparency and the welfare of the firm.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01062 Dresden|
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: https://tu-dresden.de/gsw/wirtschaft/?set_language=en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heinemann, Frank & Illing, Gerhard, 2002.
"Speculative attacks: Unique equilibrium and transparency,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19430, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Heinemann, Frank & Illing, Gerhard, 2002. "Speculative attacks: unique equilibrium and transparency," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 429-450, December.
- Petra M. Geraats, 2006.
"Transparency of Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 52(1), pages 111-152, March.
- Petra Geraats, 2005. "Transparency of Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice," CESifo Working Paper Series 1597, CESifo Group Munich.
- Geraats, P.M, 2005. "Transparency of Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0549, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bernhard Eckwert & Itzhak Zilcha, 2003.
"Incomplete risk sharing arrangements and the value of information,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 21(1), pages 43-58, 01.
- Eckwert, B. & Zilcha, I., 1999. "Incomplete Risk Sharing Arrangements and the Value of Information," Papers 13-99, Tel Aviv.
- Burkhard Drees & Bernhard Eckwert, 2003.
"Welfare Effects of Transparency in Foreign Exchange Markets: the Role of Hedging Opportunities,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 453-463, 08.
- Burkhard Drees & Bernhard Eckwert, 2002. "Welfare Effects of Transparency in Foreign Exchange Markets; The Role of Hedging Opportunities," IMF Working Papers 02/219, International Monetary Fund.
- Eckwert, Bernhard & Zilcha, Itzhak, 2001. "The Value of Information in Production Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 172-186, September.
- J. Hirshleifer, 1975.
"Speculation and Equilibrium: Information, Risk, and Markets,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 89(4), pages 519-542.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1973. "Speculation and Equilibrium:Information,Risk,and Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 037, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Edward E. Schlee, 2001. "The Value of Information in Efficient Risk-Sharing Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 509-524, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.