Emerging issues in the further development of the resource-based view of the firm
The resource-based view is the dominant paradigm in strategic management. One of the unanswered questions is how innovations are addressed in the resource and competence based literature. In answering this question the conformance of the fundamental methodological principles of the resource-based reasoning with the defined explanation goals is challenged. Theoretical foundation based on transaction costs and property rights arguments can help to clarify a sufficient explanation of the emergence, occupation, and decay of sustainable competitive advantage. The necessity and the feasibility to integrate transaction costs and property rights aspects into the resource-based reasoning is to be proofed.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Keplerstraße 17, D-70174 Stuttgart|
Phone: +49 (0) 711-121-4170
Fax: +49 (0) 711-121-2807
Web page: http://www.bwi.uni-stuttgart.de/index.php?id=12
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Jongwook Kim & Joseph T. Mahoney, 2002. "Resource-based and property rights perspectives on value creation: the case of oil field unitization," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4-5), pages 225-245.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1988. "The Theory of the Firm Revisited," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 141-61, Spring.
- Foss, Nicolai Juul, 1993. "Theories of the Firm: Contractual and Competence Perspectives," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 127-144, May.
- Barzel, Yoram, 1994. "The capture of wealth by monopolists and the protection of property rights," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 393-409, December.
- Kirsten Foss & Nicolai Foss, 2001.
"Assets, Attributes and Ownership,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 19-37.
- Barzel, Y., 1994. "The Capture of Wealth by monopolists and the Protection of Property Rights," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 94-3, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Moore, John, 1990.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
3448675, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985.
"The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Joerg Freiling, 2004. "A Competence-based Theory of the Firm," management revue. Socio-economic Studies, Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 15(1), pages 27-52.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Furubotn, Eirik G & Pejovich, Svetozar, 1972. "Property Rights and Economic Theory: A Survey of Recent Literature," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 1137-1162, December.
- Barzel, Y., 1994. "The Capture of Wealth by monopolists and the Protection of Property Rights," Working Papers 94-3, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Oliver D. Hart, 1987.
"Incomplete Contracts and the Theory of the Firm,"
448, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:stuist:12011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.