Finite sample of the Durbin-Watson test against fractionally integrated disturbances
We consider the finite sample power of various tests against serial correlation in the disturbances of a linear regression when these disturbances follow a stationary long memory process. It emerges that the power depends on the form of the regressor matrix and that, for the Durbin-Watson test and many other tests that can be written as ratios of quadratic forms in the disturbances, the power can drop to zero for certain regressors. We also provide a means to detect this zero-power trap. Our results depend solely on the correlation structure and allow for fairly arbitrary nonlinearities.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nakamura, Shisei & Taniguchi, Masanobu, 1999. "Asymptotic Theory For The Durbin Watson Statistic Under Long-Memory Dependence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 847-866, December.
- King, Maxwell L., 1985. "A point optimal test for autoregressive disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 21-37, January.
- Bartels, Robert, 1992. "On the power function of the Durbin-Watson test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 101-112.
- Kramer, W., 1985. "The power of the Durbin-Watson test for regressions without an intercept," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 363-370, June.
- King, Maxwell L. & Evans, Merran A., 1988. "Locally Optimal Properties of the Durbin-Watson Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 509-516, December.
- Kramer, Walter & Zeisel, Helmut, 1990. "Finite sample power of linear regression autocorrelation tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 363-372, March.
- Hisamatsu, Hiroyuki & Maekawa, Koichi, 1994. "The distribution of the Durbin-Watson statistic in integrated and near-integrated models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 367-382, April.
- Kleiber, Christian, 2001.
"Finite sample efficiency of OLS in linear regression models with long-memory disturbances,"
Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 131-136, August.
- Kleiber, Christian, 2000. "Finite sample efficiency of OLS in linear regression models with long-memory disturbances," Technical Reports 2000,34, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Nabeya, Seiji & Tanaka, Katsuto, 1990. "Limiting power of unit-root tests in time-series regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 247-271, December.
- King, M. L., 1981. "The alternative Durbin-Watson test : An assessment of Durbin and Watson's choice of test statistic," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 51-66, September.
- W. Tsay, 1998. "On the power of durbin-watson statistic against fractionally integrated processes," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 361-386.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb475:200415. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.