Unobservable effects in structural models of business performance
Critiques of the concept of key success factors have raised objections both conceptually and methodologically. From the latter perspective, common research practice is criticized for neglecting the influence of firm-specific, unobservable variables (e.g., management skills). To control for these effects a structural equation approach (LISREL) to the analysis of panel data is proposed. In an empirical study based on the PIMS annual data base the influence of unobservables on the direct and indirect effects of product quality on profitability is examined. It is shown, how a step by step extension of a basic simultaneous equation model sheds some light on the role unobservable variables play. Even after controlling for persistent unobservable effects product quality and market share remain significant determinants of profitability.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul W. Farris & Mark E. Parry & Kusum L. Ailawadi, 1992. "Structural Analysis of Models with Composite Dependent Variables," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(1), pages 76-94.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- Noel Capon & John U. Farley & Scott Hoenig, 1990. "Determinants of Financial Performance: A Meta-Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1143-1159, October.
- William Boulding & Richard Staelin, 1993. "A Look on the Cost Side: Market Share and the Competitive Environment," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(2), pages 144-166.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Robert Jacobson, 1990. "Unobservable Effects and Business Performance," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(1), pages 74-85.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1974. "Errors in Variables and Other Unobservables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 971-98, November.
- Robert D. Buzzell, 1990. "Commentary on “Unobservable Effects and Business Performance”," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(1), pages 86-87.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb373:200222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.