Politisch-institutionelle Determinanten aktionärsorientierter Reformen
This text is a preliminary study on the political-institutional determinants of shareholder oriented reforms in 21 OECD countries. I analyse stock and flow data on the development of stock market capitalization and on the rights of minority shareholders (La Porta et al. index) between 1990 and 2000 respective 2002. Six groups of dependent variables are distinguished: (1) economic, (2) structural, (3) cultural variables; (4) the political composition of governments; (5) institutions of consociational democracy and (6) labor relations. The analysis shows that there is a strong empirical relationship between shareholder oriented reforms and the importance of private pension schemes. In 1990, high shareholder protection was typical for countries with conservative and liberal governments, while low shareholder protection was a particular feature of catholic countries. This empirical relationship declined during the 1990s. As a consequence of weak reforms in the Nordic countries, minority shareholder protection in the year 2000 was comparatively low in countries governed by Social Democratic parties. Reforms went further in pluralist rather than corporatist countries. I use these preliminary results to identify further need for research. Most urgently, more comparative indexes on corporate governance features - such as takeover regulation and shareholder democracy - need to be developed.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 49 (0) 221-2767-0
Web page: http://www.mpifg.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Law and Finance,"
19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hibbs, Douglas Jr., 1992. "Partisan theory after fifteen years," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 361-373, October.
- Schludi, Martin, 2001. "The politics of pensions in European social insurance countries," MPIfG Discussion Paper 01/11, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Dyck, Alexander & Zingales, Luigi, 2002.
"Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander Dyck & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 537-600, 04.
- Alexander Dyck & Luigi Zingales, 2002. "Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison," NBER Working Papers 8711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:mpifgw:0510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.