A note on Condorcet consistency and the median voter
We discuss to which extent the median voter theorem extends to the domain of single-peaked preferences on median spaces. After observing that on this domain a Condorcet winner need not exist, we show that if a Condorcet winner does exist, then it coincides with the median alternative ('the median voter'). Based on this result, we propose two non-cooperative games that implement the unique strategy-proof social choice rule on this domain.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wiwi.kit.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabrielle Demange, 2012.
"Majority relation and median representative ordering,"
SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 95-109, March.
- Gabrielle Demange, 2011. "Majority relation and median representative ordering," PSE Working Papers halshs-00581310, HAL.
- Gabrielle Demange, 2012. "Majority relation and median representative ordering," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00670854, HAL.
- B.Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1972.
"The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Reconsidered: Some New Developments in the Theory of Spatial Competition,"
87, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1975. "The Principle of Minimum Differentiation Reconsidered: Some New Developments in the Theory of Spatial Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 27-49.
- Martin J. Osborne & Al Slivinksi, 1995.
"A Model of Political Competition with Citizen-Candidates,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1995-01, McMaster University.
- Martin J. Osborne & Al Slivinski, 1996. "A Model of Political Competition with Citizen-Candidates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(1), pages 65-96.
- Eiselt, H. A. & Laporte, G., 1989. "Competitive spatial models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 231-242, April.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00581310 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wendell, R. E. & McKelvey, R. D., 1981. "New perspectives in competitive location theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 174-182, February.
- H. Moulin, 1980. "On strategy-proofness and single peakedness," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 437-455, January.
- Bandelt, Hans-Jurgen, 1985. "Networks with condorcet solutions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 314-326, June.
- Gabrielle Demange, 1982.
"Single-peaked orders on a tree,"
- Miguel Ballester & Guillaume Haeringer, 2011. "A characterization of the single-peaked domain," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 36(2), pages 305-322, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:kitwps:17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.