Capital account liberalization and exchange rate flexibility: Scenarios for the Moroccan case
This paper explores the links between gradual capital account liberalization and the exchange rate regime in Morocco where the process of economic and financial openness is relatively advanced. Using a game theory model with two economic agents, that are monetary authorities and domestic firms, we explore the best choice concerning the exchange rate regime for Morocco in a context characterised by increasing openness especially of capital account. The results show that welfare under a flexible exchange rate regime is higher compared to welfare under a fixed exchange rate regime. The analysis also shows that the flexible exchange rate will improve competitiveness. However, flexibility will undermine price stability.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Ramos-Tallada., 2013.
"The IMF and management of capital flows: the long road towards a pragmatic approach,"
Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France,
Banque de France, issue 31, pages 63-85, Autumn.
- Ramos-Tallada, J., 2013. "Le FMI et la gestion des flux de capitaux : la longue route vers une approche pragmatique," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 192, pages 95-110.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2001. "The Optimal Choice of Exchange Rate Regime: Price-Setting Rules and Internationalized Production," NBER Chapters, in: Topics in Empirical International Economics: A Festschrift in Honor of Robert E. Lipsey, pages 163-194 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 1999. "The Optimal Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime: Price-Setting Rules and Internationalized Production," NBER Working Papers 6992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Charles Engel, 2000. "The Optimal Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime: Price-Setting Rules and Internationalized Production," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0022, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Michael Devereux & Charles Engel, 2000. "The Optimal Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime: Price-Setting Rules and Internationalized Production," Working Papers 0022, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.