Stability issues in German money multiplier forecasts
This paper investigates the stability of the German money supply focusing on the period 1991 - 1998. It is shown that the standard ARIMA-Transfer model approach in the literature needs to be augmented by a cointegration term to adequately model the dynamics of money supply in Germany. Additional analysis with regard to the influence of financial innovations on the control of money supply yields evidence that the influence of financial innovations on the multiplier has increased steadily during the observation period.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Deutsche Bank AG, 60272 Frankfurt am Main|
Phone: +49 69 910-31831
Fax: +49 69 910 31877
Web page: http://www.dbresearch.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von Hagen, Jürgen, 1992.
"Monetary Union, Money Demand and Money Supply: A Review of the German Monetary Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
719, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- von Hagen, Jurgen, 1993. "Monetary union, money demand, and money supply : A review of the German monetary union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 803-827, May.
- William Poole, 1976. "Interpreting the Fed's Monetary Targets," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 7(1), pages 247-260.
- Johannes, James M. & Rasche, Robert H., 1979. "Predicting the money multiplier," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 301-325, July.
- Johannes, James M & Rasche, Robert H, 1981. "Can the Reserves Approach to Monetary Control Really Work?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(3), pages 298-313, August.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Wickham, Peter, 1995.
"The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 317-340, April.
- Jose De Gregorio & Peter Wickham & Patricio Arrau & Carmen Reinhart, 1991. "The Demand for Money in Developing Countries; Assessing the Role of Financial innovation," IMF Working Papers 91/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Arrau, Patricio & DeGregorio, Jose & Wickham, Peter, 1995. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," MPRA Paper 14096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Arrau, Patricio & DeGregorio, Jose & Wickham, Peter, 1991. "The demand for money in developing countries: Assessing the role of financial innovation," MPRA Paper 13691, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen & Wickham, Peter, 1991. "The demand for money in developing countries : assessing the role of financial innovation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 721, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:dbrrns:998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.