Self-protection and insurance with interdependencies
We study optimal investment in self-protection of insured individuals when they face interdependencies in the form of potential contamination from others. If individuals cannot coordinate their actions, then the positive externality of investing in self-protection implies that, in equilibrium, individuals underinvest in self-protection. Limiting insurance coverage through deductibles or selling at-fault insurance can partially internalize this externality and thereby improve individual and social welfare.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: House of Finance, Grüneburgplatz 1, HPF H5, D-60323 Frankfurt am Main|
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Ayres & Steven D. Levitt, 1998. "Measuring Positive Externalities from Unobservable Victim Precaution: An Empirical Analysis of Lojack," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(1), pages 43-77.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1996.
"The limits of competition: Housing insurance in Switzerland,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1111-1121, April.
- Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1995. "The Limits of Competition : Housing Insurance in Switzerland," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9511, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Shavell, Steven, 1991. "Individual precautions to prevent theft: Private versus socially optimal behavior," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 123-132, September.
- Harry W. Richardson & Peter Gordon & James E. Moore II (ed.), 2005. "The Economic Impacts of Terrorist Attacks," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3783, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:200722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.