Analysing growth and productivity in Syria by growth accounting
This study investigates the performances of growth and productivity in Syria for the period 1985-2008 by means of growth accountings for the total economy and three major sectors, agriculture, industry, and services. Based on these analyses, guidelines for policies are suggested aiming at the targets for growth and employment as projected in the 11th Five-Year Plan of the economy for the period 2011-2015. The relative importance of the growth of physical capital and labour, of human capital and total factor productivity (TFP) is assessed. The study shows that much higher investments in physical and human capital per year are necessary than accomplished in the recent past in all sectors to achieve the projected growth targets of the Plan. Particularly in the industry sector negative TFP growth hampers growth of output and productivity in the global economy. Growth and reform policy should be focused in the planning period particularly on this sector in order to meet the requirements with respect to the growth and employment targets for the total economy in the Plan.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 02 51 / 83-2 29 10|
Phone: 02 51 / 83-2 29 10
Fax: 02 51 / 83-2 83 99
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/cawm/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Bosworth & Susan M. Collins & Arvind Virmani, 2006.
"Sources of Growth in the Indian Economy,"
India Policy Forum,
Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 3(1), pages 1-69.
- Barry Bosworth & Susan M. Collins & Arvind Virmani, 2007. "Sources of Growth in the Indian Economy," NBER Working Papers 12901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abu-Qarn, Aamer & Abu-Bader, Suleiman, 2005. "A Versus K Revisited: Evidence from Selected MENA Countries," MPRA Paper 1114, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aamer Abu-Qarn & Suleiman Abu-Bader, 2005. "A Versus K Revisited: Evidence from Selected MENA Countries," Working Papers 205, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013. "A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010. "A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010," NBER Working Papers 15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cawmdp:50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.