Shocks at large banks and banking sector distress: the Banking Granular Residual
Size matters in banking. In this paper, we explore whether shocks originating at large banks affect the probability of distress of smaller banks and thus the stability of the banking system. Our analysis proceeds in two steps. In a first step, we follow Gabaix (2008a) and construct a measure of idiosyncratic shocks at large banks, the so-called Banking Granular Residual. This measure documents the importance of size effects for the German banking system. In a second step, we incorporate this measure of idiosyncratic shocks at large banks into an integrated stress-testing model for the German banking system following De Graeve et al. (2007). We find that positive shocks at large banks reduce the probability of distress of small banks.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 06 02, 60006 Frankfurt|
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Upper & Andreas Worms, 2001.
"Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: is there a danger of contagion?,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 211-229
Bank for International Settlements.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2004. "Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: Is there a danger of contagion?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 827-849, August.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2002. "Estimating Bilateral Exposures in the German Interbank Market: Is there a Danger of Contagion?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Iman van Lelyveld & Franka Liedorp, 2006.
"Interbank Contagion in the Dutch Banking Sector: A Sensitivity Analysis,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(2), May.
- Lelyveld, Iman van & Liedorp, Franka, 2006. "Interbank Contagion in the Dutch Banking Sector: A Sensitivity Analysis," MPRA Paper 806, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael, 2007.
"Slippery slopes of stress: Ordered failure events in German banking,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 132-148, July.
- Koetter, Michael & Kick, Thomas, 2007. "Slippery slopes of stress: ordered failure events in German banking," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2005.
"What are the effects of monetary policy on output? Results from an agnostic identification procedure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 381-419, March.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Uhlig's VAR identification technique," Statistical Software Components RTZ00163, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "UHLIGFUNCS: RATS procedure to compute criteria for Uhlig sign-restricted shocks," Statistical Software Components RTS00217, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1999. "What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure," Discussion Paper 1999-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "What are the Effects of Monetary Policy on Output? Results from an Agnostic Identification Procedure," CEPR Discussion Papers 2137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Sara Calvo, 1996.
"Capital Flows to Latin America: Is There Evidence of Contagion Effects?,"
Peterson Institute Press: Chapters,
in: Guillermo A. Calvo & Morris Goldstein & Eduard Hochreiter (ed.), Private Capital Flows to Emerging Markets After the Mexican Crisis, pages 151-171
Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Calvo, Sara & Reinhart, Carmen, 1996. "Capital flows to Latin America : Is there evidence of contagion effects?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1619, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Sara, 1996. "Capital Flows to Latin America: Is There Evidence of Contagion Effects?”," MPRA Paper 7124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2004.
"Competition and Financial Stability,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 453-80, June.
- Garry J. Schinasi & R. Todd Smith, 2000.
"Portfolio Diversification, Leverage, and Financial Contagion,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 1.
- T. Todd Smith & Garry J. Schinasi, 1999. "Portfolio Diversification, Leverage, and Financial Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/136, International Monetary Fund.
- De Graeve, F. & Kick, T. & Koetter, M., 2008. "Monetary policy and financial (in)stability: An integrated micro-macro approach," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 205-231, September.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006.
"Risk Assessment for Banking Systems,"
INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1301-1314, September.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1997.
"Rational herd behavior and the globalization of securities markets,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
120, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique, 1997. "Rational Herd Behavior and the Globalization of Securities Markets," Working Papers 97-26, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2005.
"The Granular Origins of Aggregate Fluctuations,"
2005 Meeting Papers
470, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Harold A. Black & M. Cary Collins & Breck L. Robinson & Robert L. Schweitzer, 1997. "Changes In Market Perception Of Riskiness: The Case Of Too-Big-To-Fail," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(3), pages 389-406, 09.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Bank Competition, Concentration And Efficiency In The Single European Market," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 441-468, 07.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Jacobson, Tor & Lindé, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2005.
"Exploring Interactions between Real Activity and the Financial Stance,"
Working Paper Series
184, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Jacobson, Tor & Linde, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2005. "Exploring interactions between real activity and the financial stance," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 308-341, April.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
14299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benston, George J, 1972. "Economies of Scale of Financial Institutions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 312-41, May.
- Cavallo, Laura & Rossi, Stefania P. S., 2001. "Scale and scope economies in the European banking systems," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 515-531, December.
- Hans Degryse & Grégory Nguyen, 2007. "Interbank Exposures: An Empirical Examination of Contagion Risk in the Belgian Banking System," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 3(2), pages 123-171, June.
- Pushkin, Dmitri O & Aref, Hassan, 2004. "Bank mergers as scale-free coagulation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(3), pages 571-584.
- Eric Santor, 2003. "Banking Crises and Contagion: Empirical Evidence," Staff Working Papers 03-1, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp2:200904. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.