A rental-equivalence index for owner-occupied housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998
In this paper, we review the German practice of imputing the costs of owner-occupied housing by increasing the relative weight of actual rents in the CPI. As the structure of owner-occupied housing differs substantially from that of rental housing, this variant of the imputation method may cause a bias in the German CPI. For assessing the appropriateness of the German imputation method, we estimate alternative rental equivalent indices based on the GSOEP. We find some evidence of an understatement of the "true" rate of price increase, which is, however, not directly related to the imputation method.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 06 02, 60006 Frankfurt|
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linneman, Peter & Voith, Richard, 1991.
"Housing price functions and ownership capitalization rates,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 100-111, July.
- Peter Linneman & Richard Voith, 1988. "Housing price functions and ownership capitalization rates," Working Papers 88-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Frick, Joachim R. & Grabka, Markus M., 2001. "Der Einfluß von Imputed Rent auf die personelle Einkommensverteilung," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 285-308.
- Martin Gervais, 1998.
"Housing Taxation and Capital Accumulation,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9807, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- James J. Heckman & Rosa Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Simulation and Estimation of Nonaddative Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003.
"Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frick Joachim R. & Grabka Markus M., 2001. "Der Einfluß von Imputed Rent auf die personelle Einkommensverteilung. The Impact of Imputed Rent on the Personal Distribution of Income," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 221(3), pages 285-308, June.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2003.
"The Benefits of the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 17, pages 37-82
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2002. "The Benefits of the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction," NBER Working Papers 9284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jessse M. Shapiro, 2002. "The Benefits of the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1979, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David Genesove, 2003.
"The Nominal Rigidity of Apartment Rents,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 844-853, November.
- Theodore M. Crone & Leonard I. Nakamura & Richard Voith, 2001. "Measuring American rents: a revisionist history," Working Papers 01-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Goodman, John Jr. & Ittner, John B., 1992. "The accuracy of home owners' estimates of house value," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 339-357, December.
- Gillingham, Robert, 1983. "Measuring the Cost of Shelter for Homeowners: Theoretical and Empirical Considerations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(2), pages 254-65, May.
- Theodore M. Crone & Leonard I. Nakamura & Richard Voith, 1999.
"Measuring housing services inflation,"
99-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Juan Ayuso & Fernando Restoy, 2003. "House prices and rents: an equilibrium asset pricing approach," Working Papers 0304, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1980. "The Consumer Price Index and the Measurement of Recent Inflation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 539-573.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp1:1821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.