Markets with Bilateral Bargaining and Incomplete Information
We study the relationship between bargaining and competition with incomplete information. We consider a model with two uninformed and identical buyers and two sellers. One of the sellers has a privately-known reservation price, which can either be Low or High. The other seller’s reservation price is commonly known to be in between the Low and High values of the privately-informed seller. Buyers move in sequence, and make offers with the second buyer observing the offer made by the first buyer. The sellers respond simultaneously. We show that there are two types of (perfect Bayes) equilibrium. In one equilibrium, the buyer who moves second does better. In the second equilibrium, buyers’ expected payoffs are equalised, and the price received by the seller with the known reservation value is determined entirely by the equuilibrium of the two-player game between a single buyer and an informed seller. We also discuss extensions of the model to multiple buyers and sellers, and to the case where both sellers are privately informed.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CV4 7AL COVENTRY|
Phone: +44 (0) 2476 523202
Fax: +44 (0) 2476 523032
Web page: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tirole, Jean & Levine, David & Fudenberg, Drew, 1987.
"Incomplete Information Bargaining with Outside Opportunities,"
3196301, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine & Jean Tirole, 1987. "Incomplete Information Bargaining with Outside Opportunities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(1), pages 37-50.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine & Jean Tirole, 1987. "Incomplete Information Bargaining with Outside Opportunities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 229, David K. Levine.
- repec:oup:restud:v:59:y:1992:i:1:p:177-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:55:y:1988:i:1:p:17-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1985.
"Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
623, David K. Levine.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Wolinsky, Asher, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1133-50, September.
- Ebbe Groes & Torben Tranæs, 1989.
"Sequential Bargaining in a Market with One Seller and Two Different Buyers,"
89-22, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Hendon, Ebbs & Tranaes, Torben, 1991. "Sequential bargaining in a market with one seller and two different buyers," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 453-466, November.
- Samuelson, L., 1988. "Disagreement In Markets With Matching And Bargaining," Papers 9-86-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:50:y:1983:i:3:p:411-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1990. "Decentralized Trading, Strategic Behaviour and the Walrasian Outcome," Levine's Working Paper Archive 622, David K. Levine.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Infinite-Horizon Models of Bargaining with One-Sided Incomplete Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1098, David K. Levine.
- K. G. Binmore & M. J. Herrero, 1988. "Matching and Bargaining in Dynamic Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 17-31.
- Larry Samuelson, 1992. "Disagreement in Markets with Matching and Bargaining," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 177-185.
- Chatterjee, Kalyan & Dutta, Bhaskar, 1998.
"Rubinstein Auctions: On Competition for Bargaining Partners,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 119-145, May.
- Chatterjee, K. & Dutta, B., 1994. "Rubinstein auctions : On competition for bargaining partners," Discussion Paper 1994-57, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wrk:warwec:762. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.